Topic: E3D v6 Solidoodle 2 Bowden

Hello,

I'm still a novice in 3D printing since my SD2 hasen't been able to print much without getting clogged.

I just ordered the new E3D v6  Bowden for my Solidoodle 2. I am wondering if I can use the standard direct extruder or if I have to modify it becuase I ordered the Bowden version.

I thought having a bowden pipe seemed cool, but  I didn't realize that it means that the extruder motor is mounted elsewhere.

Any tips for how I can do this, mounts I could print and use etc?
Thank you!

Re: E3D v6 Solidoodle 2 Bowden

Hopefully you ordered the 1.75mm version, which is universal with bowden extras.  If you ordered the 3mm bowden, contact the vendor and cancel it.  There are several mounts available.  Here is one that I like (because I adapted it from other's designs):  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431363

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

1.75mm is indeed interchangeable. Where'd you buy it from?

I bought the 1.75mm one, and I ordered it directly from the manufacturers website.

Thank you for the link to the mount.
Can I mount it in the acrylic mount first? I need to be able to print to print the new mount. smile

hows the fan mounted? and any way to add G-code cooling fan duct?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

6 (edited by MacDoodle 2014-09-04 20:34:54)

I haven´t received the E3D v6 yet. Still waiting for the mailman. smile
But depending on which fan you´re referring to I thinm there are two answers. The fan that comes with the E3D v6 is mounted just like the v5 over the hotend. If you´re referring to a fan to cool the extruded plastic, I personally havent got one yet. But I'd love to make a mount for one, and G-code for it shouldn´t be any different than other hotends... or am I missing something?

MacDoodle wrote:

I bought the 1.75mm one, and I ordered it directly from the manufacturers website.

Can I mount it in the acrylic mount first? I need to be able to print to print the new mount. smile

I don't think it fits the acrylic, I don't run the acrylic mount on any of my printers so its hard to know for sure.

http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … solidoodle

elmoret wrote:
MacDoodle wrote:

I don't think it fits the acrylic, I don't run the acrylic mount on any of my printers so its hard to know for sure.

http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … solidoodle

I ordered the part you linked to. The part was $4.95 but shipping was $12.80. Still, the E3D wont do any good without a mount.
smile
Thanks!

9 (edited by n2ri 2014-09-05 20:00:33)

yes V6 is much more compact than V5 maybe while your at it make a duel extruder mount with hot end and extruder tip cooling fans mounts...
NAH on 2nd thought Apprentice is easier fix for that just make mount with fans mounts and duct for V6 for SD2 I could do without support for most my prints with that long as I make motherboard connection pins for G-code fan

then again duel V6 would fit in same space as the standard extruder on my SD2, is there a replacement motherboard for duel extruders with connection for G-code cooling fan? that may be my answer for saving the $700+ of an Apprentice since I dont need bigger build platform etc

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

10 (edited by MacDoodle 2014-09-24 07:30:09)

Hello again,

I have now received the Lawsy MK5 from filastruder and I have mounted the E3D v6 extruder.

I now have a problem that the E3D is a few centimeters shorter than the ols extruder leading to the problem that the extruder cant reach the print bed.
Any ideas of how to solve this?
The adjustment screws wont reach far enough....

Thank you!

Find a longer screw or something to add as an extension.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Or flip the screw upside down.

elmoret wrote:

Or flip the screw upside down.

Can't believe I missed that wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Ok... that sounds interesting....
Any guide anywhere on how to do this? smile

just unscrew it completely from the top as you normally would when adjusting your Z height.
Flip the screw, then screw it back in from the bottom going up. Instead of the endstop hitting the threaded end of the screw, it will now hit the cap head end.

If you do not like this approach, there are several printable extended Z tabs available on Thingiverse

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

MacDoodle wrote:

Any guide anywhere on how to do this? smile

Really?

17 (edited by MacDoodle 2014-09-25 06:03:46)

AZERATE wrote:

just unscrew it completely from the top as you normally would when adjusting your Z height.
Flip the screw, then screw it back in from the bottom going up. Instead of the endstop hitting the threaded end of the screw, it will now hit the cap head end.

If you do not like this approach, there are several printable extended Z tabs available on Thingiverse

Thanks for the helpful reply!
I'l try that this weekend. Kind of momentum 22 on the "print new parts for the printer" right now since I can't use it to print. smile

MacDoodle wrote:

I now have a problem that the E3D is a few centimeters shorter than the ols extruder leading to the problem that the extruder cant reach the print bed.
Any ideas of how to solve this?
The adjustment screws wont reach far enough....

Thank you!

Can you let your bed screws out (up) a little more?  You could also add some thicker glass (or multiple pieces) to make up the difference.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed