Topic: How do you wind filament on the spool ?

Yep. How do you do it ?
The way i do it is to stand in the lopp middle of the piled up filament and hold/guide filament while twisting the spool.
At the same time i turn around so that filament wont loop around its self and bend or crack/brake.
This gets my wrist tired and make me dizzy for spinning around.

Is there a better way to do it without filawinder ?
I thought of cordless drill (that i dont have) but it will just make me spin faster.

I also tried going up the ladder but result is the same. Filament would loop around it self and tangle allover.

Re: How do you wind filament on the spool ?

You don't need to rotate, you can stand still. I can wind 1kg in about 2 minutes. Here's a quick vid showing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … xi56w#t=22

I can take another video if you really need it, but it's pretty simple. Attach the spool to the drill, pull the trigger. You can get a cheap drill from Harbor Freight.

In your example its not coiled even around its self. I cant take a spool and rotate it in one direction, filament will loop around its self after few turns.
Plus video showed few feet. I have few hundred feet to deal with.

I promise what I do in the video works fine. I've done it for 120kg of filament so far. It doesn't have to be perfectly even, I've never had a spool tangle while feeding the printer.

Why bother asking if you're not going to trust the advice of someone that has done it (a lot)?

I tried and failed at first. Went too fast and applied too much pressure on the string, thus not allowing it to twist while wrapping around the spool.
Slowed down and let the string more loose resolved the problem.

I knew people did it with drills but what i experienced told me "its not gonna work" and it make me spend more money.
OH well, too many toys is not too many women. I'll live smile

Lesson of the day.
DOES NOT WORK WITH PLA.
Filawinder also no help. PLA is too hard and extruded with a twist that you absolutely have no choice but to twist with it, or else.
I got like 4LB of 1.75mm on the floor, thought i would get lucky sad

This is definitely wrong, I've drill spooled with PLA and many others have used the FilaWinder with PLA.

elmoret wrote:

This is definitely wrong, I've drill spooled with PLA and many others have used the FilaWinder with PLA.

Curious, how flexible has your PLA been? The stuff I've been putting out has been.. Quite fragile.
Is it a temp thing or just an artefact of the 4043D polymer?

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Just like normal stuff. Did you dry yours? How?

elmoret wrote:

Just like normal stuff. Did you dry yours? How?

Did indeed, in the oven for about 2 hours at 80.
I suppose some experimentation is in order.

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

80C? You might need longer, depending on how much moisture it had to begin with.