1 (edited by kszwab 2014-08-30 18:01:15)

Topic: Plug of Death :(

(wails) Why is this happening to me ?

I spent hours with this thing (not slept the whole night).

New build. All assembled correctly (to me).

1. Auger sticking out from pipe about 1/4 inch
2. Sample pellets
3. Temp 180 C
4. With or without FilaBottle extension (same issue)
5. Compression bearing compressed fine
6. Shaft not pushing into motor (enough slack)
7. Shaft collar tightened properly
8. Pipe not bent (auger moves fine by hand when clean)
9. Heater junction and nozzle tightened fine
10. Pellets feeding fine
11. Temp stable at 180, auto tuned performed

It will run great for about 1 hr, no getting stuck or anything, good extrusion rate.

Then the rate will drop dramatically, the whole pipe will turn clockwise following the motor about 30 degrees (pipe is TIGHT on the flange). Taking it apart after reading about the symptoms reveals the huge molten plug stuck to the auger (helix shape) about 3 inches of it, no less.

Cleaning the auger makes it work for another hour, then it happens again.

Tried higher temps until 210, same issue.

Any ideas ?

Help !

Thanks.

Re: Plug of Death :(

If the barrel is rotating and you're sure it was tightened sufficiently, then something is either assembled wrong or aligned incorrectly.

The "plug" you describe is normal. The last 3 inches of the auger is in the melt zone.

Could be, but what ?

I did the measurements over and over, looked at the parts lists, watched some assembly instructions on you tube.

Could I post some pictures ? Maybe I am missing something obvious ...

I read about this "plug" happening randomly and then not having enough friction for the extrusion to happen, somehow the pellets are not being pushed forward and the whole thing rotates in place...

The "random" plug only happens once typically - it had only happened to me once in 1500 hours, not repeatedly.

The barrel rotation you observed does not happen in other cases of "plugging".

I wonder if I should do the trick I read to turn the whole pipe now 90 deg counter clockwise to compensate for the turn.

The pipe is TIGHT (I put the flange in a bench wise and used a wise grip to screw it in, by the short end as instructed not to bend).

Should the pipe be screwed in ALL THE WAY to the end of of the threads ?

Some pics

Post's attachments

20140830_135807[1].jpg 2.61 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20140830_135818[1].jpg
20140830_135818[1].jpg 1.98 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Assembly pics

Post's attachments

20140830_135556[1].jpg
20140830_135556[1].jpg 2.97 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20140830_135605[1].jpg
20140830_135605[1].jpg 3.51 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20140830_135609[1].jpg 3.01 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20140830_135740[1].jpg
20140830_135740[1].jpg 3.21 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

We can see here how the rotation twisted and bent the whole pipe.

I really do not understand how this could happen.

The issue is not that I need a new pipe/auger, but what causes it so it does not happen again sad

Post's attachments

20140830_151509[1].jpg
20140830_151509[1].jpg 2.74 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

20140830_151708[1].jpg
20140830_151708[1].jpg 3.26 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Improper assembly, or running it stalled (not letting the plastic melt first).

Well, could be, but I would like to understand how so I avoid doing it again.

I need another pipe and auger to rebuild it. I see on the site you are out of stock ? When will new ones be available ?

I always let it warm up for about 15 min to reach the 180-190C. Why would it run for one hr then all of a sudden get stuck and do the rotation issue ?

Could you please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you see anything amiss or if there any specific area you would like a picture of ?

"improper assembly" is quite vague in trying to help a customer.

The only way the pipe gets bent is if something is if the auger is jammed. This happens one of three ways:

1.) Improper assembly - something not lined up properly, or thrust bearing not held compressed, or some other mistake
2.) Plastic not melted/improper temperature/controller or sensor failure
3.) Some sort of debris jamming the auger in the pipe.

I did look at the pictures. They weren't very helpful, things like alignment are not apparent from the photos you took. I can tell you installed the insulation wrong and the filament guide wrong. These things wouldn't cause what you described, but it tells me you might have missed some other details during assembly.

To bend the pipe like that, something happened to stall the motor. Considering you took photos 15 minutes apart, I'm betting you ran it while stalled, and it bent the pipe. Not only that, but you ran it stalled for so long the barrel rotated more than 130 degrees. This is improper operation.

Why it stalled? Hard to say, I would bet improper assembly, probably the thrust bearing not being compressed during assembly. There are no v1.5 videos on youtube, if you watched an old version video (made by someone other than me!) that would certainly explain why you might have done something wrong.

Pipe and auger are in stock, but I sell them on a case by case basis so I can provide them at cost (no profit) to existing customers. As I already told you via PM, you need to email me through the Filastruder website's contact form.

Thank you for the explanations. I sent the info as required via the site and will pay attention to the points you made when I replace the parts.

Thanks,

Konrad

Are you running it as soon as it reaches temp or are you letting it sit at 180 for 15-30 before you start?  As soon as it reaches temp is still too soon, the heat needs to spread around more before it runs.

Unfortunately sometimes I ran it after it reached the temperature. I believe that this may be the cause of the issues that I see.

Once I get the new parts I will make sure I wait 30 min after it reaches operating temperature just to be on the safe side.

Lesson learned.

This is really getting annoying of how many people have issues with assembling their unit correctly.
Isnt there a video on how to do it step by step ?

I found one with a lady showing how to, but it was hardly helpful.
I'd post one but my filastruder is modified so it wont match sad

Tim,

This is not a random issue as you keep telling people.... this is a MAJOR DESIGN/PARTS FLAW... I have four of these things and have now reached the point where the melt jam around the auger has become a constant pain in the ass.... We have discussed this prior... many times... On my four systems i have two of them that have this issue constantly. the other two have not had it once. Tim you need to figure out why this is happening and do something about it.... enough people are having this problem at this point that you need to take responsibility and stop shifting blame to users for improper assembly, which wouldn't be any form of issues if the instructions didn't read as though a 3rd grader wrote them. My personal feeling is you cheaped out on the auger and they are degrading in the melt zone causing the plastic to bind to them. The fact that new users without any runtime on the system are having this problem just reinforces my belief. You already making over $150 a piece on these systems, spend the extra $5 and get quality parts....

To my knowledge, at this point 7 customers (out of 1600) have experienced this issue. That, in my mind, makes it pretty uncommon. It has happened on almost all 5 design revisions, and has happened on all three different augers. Actually, the augers I'm using right now are 4 times more expensive than the augers I used when I started the Kickstarter. It has only happened to me once in over 1700 hours of use, so it is hard for me to "just figure out what's wrong". I posted exactly what I did to clear the jam, and it hasn't come back since, with over 200 hours of use - so it is hard for me to believe that the auger is "degrading". Also this user had only a few hours of time on his setup, further contraindicating an issue of degrading. Some (of the 7 folks to have experienced this) have had a few hundred hours. I had 1500 hours before it happened. There is no pattern to support the "degrading" hypothesis. Actually, the only common denominator has been the use of glow in the dark colorant - 3 of the users to have experienced this used GITD colorant. I have not ever used it myself, nor do I endorse it.

If you have a source for these "$5 quality parts", please share it and I would be happy to test it out.

If you have recommended changes to the instructions, I would be happy to implement them. Personal insults aren't very productive.

The barrel rotation/twisting has nothing to do with the failure to feed, and that is definitely a case of improper assembly/use, every single time. There's two separate issues at work here.

Finally, lets try to make this a bit more helpful - have you ever run GITD colorant on the 2 extruders that have problems? What colorant/polymers have you run? How many hours of runtime did they each have before experiencing the clogging? I would love to figure this out, but I need data.

Would a teflon spray on the auger work to solve/prevent the problem, or maybe even speed up extrusion by lowering the COF of the auger?  It is supposed to be good up to 250C which may be borderline for the melt zone.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-Stick- … B003UTX0R8

Its very difficult to get teflon to stick to anything in practice. It'd just be wiped off - there's a special application process to put it on cookware.

Tim,
was not a personal attack but you cannot keep blaming problems on users... and there have been far more than 7 people to post here. GITD coloring blaming... if that was the problem then it would only happen when using it. I just find it annoying that rather than try and actually come up with whats causing it you keep blaming the user. If it was user error i wouldn't have two machines with over 2500hrs on each of them running perfectly still and two machines that crapped out and haven't worked right with your auger since between hour 2 and 500... Buying a auger from ace/homedepo/etc causes the problem to vanish. Hence why i think its an auger issue, be it some of them are bad, some degrade or what have you. Sorry if it came off as an attack just annoys me when someone posts a problem and your first reply is you probably assembled it wrong. your product has started to get a bad name on the net which it doesn't deserve.... My two working systems i love, the two trouble systems i am about to scrap all the metal parts from that came from you, chalk it up to poor quality control on the distributers end (especially since they all came from the same batch) and replace them locally. You personally are great and reply to everyone rapidly and i would still suggest your product over others.

What folks have posted problems? Perhaps I have missed their posts. If there are more than 7, please link them here so I can be sure to have seen them. Where on the internet is Filastruder getting a bad name? I'd be happy to address any problems.

What I said above is that if the barrel is twisting, it was assembled incorrectly. That is true every single time.

What auger did you purchase? The trouble is that with 99.5% of customers, I don't hear reports of auger issues, so switching to a different auger randomly doesn't really help things - especially since there have been reports of issues across all auger variants. In other words, I could have just sent you two more of the same auger/barrel, and I bet you wouldn't have had a problem either - so it isn't a case of "bad" augers, since all of the ones I've ever used can experience this.

Finally, did you ever run GITD colorant in the two that went bad? It could absolutely coat the augers with something, and that would go away if the auger was replaced (as you have done).

I thought you said that buying an auger from ace/home depot causes the problem to vanish, so then why would you scrap all the metal parts if it is currently working?

See, this is the problem I have trying to diagnose things - I get conflicting or incomplete information from users. If you want, I can send out a barrel/auger for you to test.

Finally, congrats on over 2500 hours. I certainly didn't have that sort of use case in mind when I designed this.

I had the problem once, and it went away when I replaced the barrel.  I think I kept the auger, but it has been awhile so I'm not sure.  My problem came after I used Asaclean to purge the barrel.  I wonder if it is possible for some resins to polish the inside of the barrel a bit, or somehow reduce the roughness and friction of it.  Also I've had an auger come out with the end roughed up from scraping against the barrel, so I wonder if that might cause the plastic to stick to it more.

That's good to know. My hypothesis is that there are multiple causes:

sometimes the cause is running a particular material (like Asaclean, or GITD colorant) At least three users have experienced plugging RIGHT after running one of the above.
sometimes it seems completely random, and possibly from turning on the machine too early, since the auger center melts last.

Once it is plugged, it seems nothing will help short of disassembly, and/or replacement of parts if they were exposed to one of the above. In my case, I disassembled, pulled the plastic off (no solvents), and reassembled. Never another issue.

That's all I know so far. I'm not ignoring this, I'm not shifting blame (for the plugging issue) to users. I just don't have enough information to figure it out yet.

I agree 100% barrel twisting is improper assembly. The others with the issue several are here but most of them unplugged the jam and went along happily afterwards... Most complaints ive seen are out on the net. The auger replace was a test solution and wasn't the proper diameter so i lost over half my speeds, so i went back to trying to get the originals to work. Interesting theory on the gitd colorant but one of the machines that still runs great has had over 50lbs of GITD run through it without issue, however one of the bad ones did have it run through shortly before it ceased to work...  as for my wanting to scrap all the parts, Ive gotten tired of fighting with the two bad systems so i want to replace as much as possible to try and ensure i don't have the issue come back, very annoying having half my capacity sitting wasted sad Perhaps there are some random issues with the pla and abs having a few random pellets of another plastic creating a coating on the auger causing the issues. Something to look into.... any suggestions on something i could do to my trouble augers to attempt to clean any potential coating? And i have another idea for you to possibly prevent this issue and increase extrusion speeds a bit in the future that ill pm you as it could cause other problems and i dont want people rushing out to try it and fucking their equipment.