Topic: UP Mini 3D vs Davinci XYZ (Australia)

Hi all,

New to the forum and just getting up to speed reading about the possibilities/limitations of small home printing setups. I have been unable to find a direct comparison between the two best priced options available to me in Australia; the UP Mini 3D  and the Davinci XYZ 1.0 (Both $699) from local suppliers. I do apologise if this has been discussed before.

From my research this is my current findings, very happy to be corrected on any of them!

Pros for UP Mini - non-proprietary filament, better bundled software, seems to be easy to set up and obtain decent results
Cons for UP Mini - Small build area (120x120x120mm), min 200 micron resolution

Pros for Davinci - 100 micron resolution, much larger build area, firmware upgradeable to "repetier" (need to read a lot more about this, seems promising but I don't have a programming background so could be out of my depth)
Cons for Davinci - Bundled firmware issues, proprietary filament cartridges (can be worked around), quality control issues

I intend to use the printer for small prototyping at home (I am a subsea engineer), so the small build area of the mini is not a huge issue. I am more interested in accuracy/resolution and reliability.

Has anyone tried both? Is the print quality markedly better for the Davinci due to higher resolution? Or am I missing another better option in this price range (max $700 AUD delivered in Australia).

At this stage I am leaning towards the Davinci however there are a fair few bothering reviews out there, but am not sure if this is due to the old "plug it in, doesn't work, throw tantrum, berate product" mindset rather than trying to work through issues.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Looking forward to contributing to the forum when I am up and running.