Topic: 3D Printing at home

Hello everyone, Excited about 3D printing at home? Don't hold your breath, warns Gartner - http://www.zdnet.com/excited-about-3d-p … 000032736/

Re: 3D Printing at home

try 3Dhubs.com

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I find it interesting that they said the cost is too high for the average consumer. I just did a quick Google and the IPhone 6 is $200-$300 with the purchase of a contract so you know if you were to just buy one outright it would cost just as much, if not more than the new SD Press. And there are lots of sub $500 printers available now.

I kinda wish I'd held out because I spent almost $700 on my SD2 and it's smaller and has half of the features. Sorry I drifted from the subject but my point is $500 is exactly the average cost of most hot consumer products. Xboxes, Playstaions, Good quality PCs. I'm not a Mac guy so, I may be mistaken, (please don't send the Genius mob to whack me for my ignorance), but I'm pretty sure $500 probably won't even get you the cheapest Apple computer. It will barely get you an IPad.

I'm talking about standard retail here. I'm sure you can get a "used" item out of a trunk for well under MSRP.

So for ZDNet to say 3d printing isn't going mainstream due to cost is really, I don't know, I can't think of any words to use that won't sound offensive so I'll just say that ZDNet is maybe just a bit behind on the times on this one or didn't really research typical consumer spending.  Maybe if that was published a year ago I'd see those points to be considered but, in their chart they have things listed to be happening in 2-5 years and more than 5 years that are happening now.

Lots of schools are picking up cheap 3d printers for the classroom. And I'm talking elementary schools. not even colleges. 

Then there's ease of use. 3d printing is getting very close to the "just hit print" button. It seems to be one of the main focuses and goals of the 3D printing companies. Feeding the filament isn't that much more difficult or complicated than threading a sewing machine.  It's not like folks aren't using multiple software at the same time already. I think ZDNet is not hip to the fact that most people are very familiar with multitasking these days. They must not have any teenagers in their families.

Then there's the medical thing. There are doctors who are currently using 3d printing. One is using an organic substance to print organs (still very new and being tested). Then there's the story from a few months ago where a doctor 3d printed a piece for to fix/fill a hole in a guys skull.

Sorry to rant, I just couldn't believe my eyes when I read that. I don't know where they got the "as of July 2014" data but I'm thinking the forgot to put the B.C. after it.

well that guy likely also still has only an AOL email too LMAO like my bro inlaw and an ex-boss. many my age or older dont even know how to Email or use a PC for more than playing solitaire. my wife still tells people I "play on my computer and 3D thingy 247" I have been selling 3D prints already, this is not just the next toy for Christmas wish lists. its a new growing industry fueled and operated by average geeks forging the future with each print, instead of sitting in front of the 'boob tube' waiting for the president to save our future. I may be physically handicapped but with this technology I can take the Bull by the horns and create my destiny without becoming solely dependent on Gov handouts to continue prosperity. just another senior citizen blowing off steam ;^P

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Frankly I had seen that article  elsewhere and I too was surprised at the dire prediction.

This is one mans option !! As far as price  IMHO it depends on the person, income level and the end user. I have a friend that bought into the SD4  for himself IIRC when it was still $999 he likes to  tinker and experiment with cnc  he is retired but is actually one of developers of some of the components for MACH 3 software.
he got a  simple for his grandson.

Consumer ready is an open ended phrase. IMHO the current 3d printers are fine for folks who like to tinker and have a solid background in mechanical things and electronics.

there is still a lot of need for human input in today's 3d printing there needs to be adjustment maintenance and adjustments to the software.  so there needs to be a solid knowledge of what makes these work.

cubify, makerbot,sodidoodle,aterid and many others are marketing 3d printers to home owners.
so is it a case of 3d printers ready for the home market or the home owner ready for a 3d printer.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

there is still a lot of need for human input in today's 3d printing there needs to be adjustment maintenance and adjustments to the software.  so there needs to be a solid knowledge of what makes these work.

Tin

Agreed!  Considering that; those who write articles like this are probably coming at it thinking that only a fraction of the population even have the desire to know how these things work, not to mention the ability to design the things you want to print; unless there is a huge subset who are happy with downloading and printing pre-designed things...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I like to think that it only needs to be as consumer ready as a table saw, a drill press, or any other tool for people who like to make things.  It can be completely mainstream and sold by the millions without being a home appliance.  Mostly the people who should be buying 3D printers are people who like to make things, but the great thing about the technology is it can inspire people who hadn't otherwise thought of making stuff.  I didn't know exactly what I would make when I first bought mine, but once I had it, it was easy to think of things.  That is largely a factor of every problem looking like a nail when you have a hammer, but at least that is a starting point. 

The key factor for me however was that I already had some past experience with modeling from doing 3D graphics.  I had to brush up on some principles, and learn how CAD works as opposed to mesh modeling for graphics, but I wasn't starting from scratch or afraid of the learning curve.

"afraid of the learning curve"

thats the key thing most noobs need to understand 1st off. everyone has a dif length of time/ability to get through that part. most should allow at least a year for this b4 jumping into making a biz out of a 3D printer. there's lots to learn even if they had some prev experience in related tech. Patience is the main virtue here. due to all the tweaks/trouble along the way. unless ya want to use that hammer on your printer investment ;^P

well said Ian.  I agree if we look at a 3-d printer as a shop tool then they are indeed market ready. As a home appliance not as much. My home shop Chinese mini mill comes with the warning only to be used by a professionally trained machinist. so implied learning curve to say the least.
   It seems with the new line up solidoodle sees this as two potential markets and is building printers accordingly.
It is also apparent that some printers are designed to look more like an appliance and a consumer product and more as a shop tool.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

when i bought a 3D Printer my biggest fear was 3D design , but now it's not a problem because i found the easiest and most powerful  design tool  it's called [redacted] i recommend every 3D Printer owner to try it smile