Topic: Bad Printer!!!...Bad =D

So I know there are those of you out there that are under the impression that some of us never have a bad printer day.  Possibly even thinking that some have never even had a failed print.
I wanted to start a thread to show off some of the strange and unusual failures I come across.
Please bare in mind I am not looking for solutions or answers to what the problem is as most of these will be operator induced but rarely intentional.
Feel free to guess or even post some of your own "What did I just Do?" Photos.  I am going to try and post another odd failure every week and provide the answer or solution to the previous photo.

Have Fun and Keep Printing smile

http://i.imgur.com/kQOtBBU.jpg

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Re: Bad Printer!!!...Bad =D

I actully kind of like that effect. It has tiger stripes!

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Makes you wonder if it can be reliably duplicated? Hmmm?

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

LdyMox wrote:

It has tiger stripes!

I know why. His printer's got tiger blood.
Sorry...couldn't resist big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

THAT is what he oils it with. Tigers blood!

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Thanks Ward - I think this is a great idea!  A thread for failed print pictures without the mumbo-jumbo.

SD3, RUMBA, 360W power, ABS: Glass bed + Aquanet Extra Super Hold Hairspray, Anti-backlash Z spanner, Repetier Host + Slic3r

Now I have to hurry up and get my printer to fail again wink

wardjr wrote:

Makes you wonder if it can be reliably duplicated? Hmmm?

It has been duplicated...but can it be done reliably?
http://i.imgur.com/iU28Lhn.jpg

Start on our own more eclectic version of this?:http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troublesho … rial_Guide

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

Level your bed lazy man tongue

adrian wrote:

Level your bed lazy man tongue

Wrong answer... That is 5 mm's thick and all layers are perfect except what you see on the top three layers.  That's what makes this a fun thread even the best and brightest don't always have the answers wink care to try again Adrian?  It's an easy one too big_smile
Hint my bed is level big_smile big_smile
Just have to wait till Monday for the answer or Tuesday for those Down under.

grob wrote:

Start on our own more eclectic version of this?:http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troublesho … rial_Guide

That was kind of the idea.  I wanted to come up with a fun way to address some of the rutine failures.  You know the ones we seem to answer daily wink

If your bed is level, why is the first perimiter unevenly bulged.

Never said it was the fault... Just an observation tongue

adrian wrote:

If your bed is level, why is the first perimiter unevenly bulged.

Never said it was the fault... Just an observation tongue

Ok maybe my bed isn't perfectly level wink it is damn close though and your right it isn't the cause.  Nice observation or back peddling what ever you want to call it I'll let it slide smile

too full of infill causes ooz and smear anything over .70 can do this depending on material (and color for some reason)

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

16 (edited by wardjr 2014-08-24 13:25:37)

n2ri wrote:

too full of infill causes ooz and smear anything over .70 can do this depending on material (and color for some reason)

Also not the correct answer....  I print most things at 100 percent and haven't ever encountered what you describe.  Sounds like someone needs to spend some time calibrating their printer wink

My guess is either temp setting or maybe an issue with belts...errr....fishing line wink

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

I've noticed that I need to push the filament feed rate up to double or more of the "correct" calibrated setting otherwise I get similar gaps in the surface of my prints. I'm starting to think it varies with every filament, and I need to calibrate temps and feed rate for every one. Is that how it works?

Stock SD4 with 3/16" glass attached to stock (kapton-covered) bed with Aquanet.

maybe its printer specific, what brand is printer?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

AZERATE wrote:

My guess is either temp setting or maybe an issue with belts...errr....fishing line wink

Nope... Try again

eflyguy wrote:

I've noticed that I need to push the filament feed rate up to double or more of the "correct" calibrated setting otherwise I get similar gaps in the surface of my prints. I'm starting to think it varies with every filament, and I need to calibrate temps and feed rate for every one. Is that how it works?

You should calibrate with each and every spool, I doubt that is your problem though.
If you need help figuring that out let me know.  Could probably fix that in a few words.

n2ri wrote:

maybe its printer specific, what brand is printer?

It is not specific to brand but to answer your question that was done on an SD3. Check signature for mods.

the top part looks like top solid layers where too few its how some of mine looked till I made top 7 layers and bottom 5 layers solid

Nope, this is not a profile/settings issue.  It does however, sound like you may have an extrusion width setting that needs to be addressed or an extrusion multiplier out of whack.

The fact that the top layer is incomplete but is not in a predictable pattern suggests a random problem with extrusion. My guess is a partial clog or extruder gear problem (gummed up or tension incorrect). Your perimeters are too straight to be an X-Y problem, so there is no explanation for why the infill/top layer is so jagged.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition