1 (edited by Rincewind 2012-12-08 15:58:13)

Topic: Glass bed holders - Use the whole printing area!

Hi all,

I find printing on glass a great solution, but I was never happy with the usage of paper clips to hold the glass: they reduce the printing area by around 1cm (and when you have 15, this is something), plus I didn't like when the extruder crashed on them.

So I made these: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37081.

They are small plastic holders that can be glued on the bottom of the glass and keep it steadily attached to the bed, without protruding above the printing area. Check it out: http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/56/40/77/ed/69/PC080010_display_medium.jpg

I'm very happy with them, plus I can now close the door when printing!

Re: Glass bed holders - Use the whole printing area!

Nice, clean solution.

You need to remove the period from the end of your link though.  It's entertaining, but not what you intended... wink

rtrski wrote:

Nice, clean solution.

You need to remove the period from the end of your link though.  It's entertaining, but not what you intended... wink

Thanks! smile

I just switched to the glass bed today and my nozzle has crashed into them 3 times so far, this might be the solution i need!

very nice indeed.  Yet another add-on project to print out. Thanks smile

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

6 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2012-12-15 18:33:40)

I just printed these out and I noticed the inserts won't slide into the sockets.  What settings do you use to print?  I can go file/sand these down, but i printed out a minecraft figure and none of the joints would fit without some sanding too.  I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong.  I'm using Slicer and it has perimeter as 3.  Maybe that is what is doing it?

Also - how smoothly should they slide in before gluing them to the glass?

SpaceCowboy850 wrote:

I just printed these out and I noticed the inserts won't slide into the sockets.  What settings do you use to print?  I can go file/sand these down, but i printed out a minecraft figure and none of the joints would fit without some sanding too.  I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong.  I'm using Slicer and it has perimeter as 3.  Maybe that is what is doing it?

Also - how smoothly should they slide in before gluing them to the glass?

Thanks for printing them. You should indeed use a small file to enlarge the holes a bit. I made them with very little tolerance on purpose, so that the inserts would stay in quite tight. In fact when you print out holes, they alway come out smaller than what you design (Ian Johnson mentions it in a post) I wrote it in the instructions on thingiverse, but I should have emphasized it a bit more smile

You know that you have filed the holes enough when the inserts can slide in but they wouldn't come out unless you apply some force, say 1 or 2 kg (as a rough estimate).  They will get looser with the usage, and if you glue them right they should be able to withstand a force of 150kg or so, so it won't be a problem.

Also, it might happen that the inserts don't slide under the bed as soon as you put them in (it depends on how straignt your walls are, and again, I used very little tolerance on purpose, too tight is better than too loose). Again, use a file to get the hole just bigger enough for them to slide them in so that they keep the bed firmly in place.

Sorry, I realize that it does require a bit of twarking, but after you do it once, it will work smoothly for quite some time (I'm happily using mine for every print).

F

Here's my take on the mounting..

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/814/magn … -mounting/