Topic: clear pellets and possibility of extruding laywood-like filament

I am looking for clear pellets that both will extrude and maintain their transparent/translucent state. Prefer clear pellets that will stay transparent/translucent when colorant is mixed in. I ran what can best be described as a "mystery styrene" (it was billed as HIPS pellets) and while it extruded it turned opaque. It also was coming out with a diameter a bit over 2mm, and I am using a 1.75mm nozzle. (And that was running it at about 200 degrees.) It was also extremely brittle (no way it could even be wound onto a spool, even if it somehow was usable). Needless to say I stopped extruding as soon as it started coming out, and was able to flush it out with no issues.

I also am interested in trying to extrude something approximating the laywood filament. What polymer is used as the binder for the wood bits? Is extruding it a possibility? Thanks.

Re: clear pellets and possibility of extruding laywood-like filament

You can look for MABS, which is "clear abs" CheiMei PA-758.  It used to be available on Ebay from a liquidator, but I don't know where you could find any now.

Just found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clear-Plastic-Pe … 0989634586

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

That was the guy. From the picture he had it appeared that he had bought an ocean container that had several 25kg bags of the stuff, but I guess he sold it all.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Has anyone run this and able to comment on how it runs, prints, etc? Thanks.

For printing, it seems to take a slightly lower temperature and oozes a bit more, even though it has a lower MFI than MG94.  I've had it extrude about the same as ABS, but also had very slow extrusion with it.  The slow extrusion might have had more to do with the masterbatch I put in, though it was a very small amount because I wanted a translucent color.

Here is a timelapse of it spooling where you can see the change in extrusion speed as the clear blue gets purged by natural-