Topic: Christmas Solidoodle II Print Challenge

It has been a while since a new challenge.  Haven't had a chance to try this one yet, but it should be a good one for the community to perfect.  Please don't forget to add your ini or settings so others can learn.  Also if you get it to print well, you should add both a picture and a video of it spinning to show the full effect.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35758

Re: Christmas Solidoodle II Print Challenge

.3mm solidoodle slic3r profile. 5 shells, no infill, 4mm brim
~10 hour print

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=628&download=0

I attempted that with Kisslicer at .1mm. It SAID 9 hours. It ended up at 25 hours, with something getting caught causing the top fifth being shifted about a quarter of an inch. Acceleration and running out of code just killed the speed. I'll be reattempting it this weekend using an SD card and slic3r.

KISSlicer did not take machine acceleration or destringing into account when approximating the time.  My prints were routinely about 50-75% longer than estimated.  However, in the upcoming 1.1 this is taken into account.  With a decent approximation of the printer's XY acceleration term entered, I am now within 5 minutes of the estimated time on 6 hr prints.  And your plan to use SD is a good one.  When using serial you may need to disable the "round infill" option on KISSlicer, especially if using 33% or 50% infill.

thanks,
Jonathan

5 (edited by Gordym 2012-12-17 12:10:26)

I tried printing this today and the hot end caught when it was about 75% done. Then I ended up with a ball of string. I am trying it again. What did print looked nice!

Edit: I finally got it to print successfully. Not perfrect, but done.

Post's attachments

ornament.jpg
ornament.jpg 642.78 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-12-17 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6