Topic: Metal flakes in filament

I’ve noticed my printer has been getting clogged more often as of late. I took a look at my filament that I’ve been producing with the Filastruder and realized there’s small bits of metal in areas of it. I've have run the Filastruder more than 100 hours with no issues. Today I decided to take it apart and have a look to make sure everything was okay. Much to my dismay, there’s a fine redish metal powder on the inside of my enclosure. After pulling a few more things apart it’s apparent that it’s been happening for a while now. The thrust bearing is covered in it and the white thrust plate seems to be getting pushed through by the bearing. I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix the issue. Does anybody have any ideas?

Post's attachments

IMG_1013.JPG 1.8 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG 1.83 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG 1.66 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG 1.65 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG 1.58 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Metal flakes in filament

Re: Flakes in filament - straight from the Filastruder product page:

Note that for use with printers having a nozzle size 0.5mm or smaller, it is recommended that a melt filter nozzle is used with the Filastruder to remove any dust/debris from the polymer.

If the thrust bearing is rusting, I'd bet you never lubricated it - this is discussed in the manual. Bare metal + humidity = rust.

As for the thrust plate, I stopped using them because they weren't quite hard enough. I now use a nylon spacer. If you order a replacement thrust bearing:

http://www.filastruder.com/products/thrust-bearing

I can throw in a spacer (replaces your white plate)

Awesome, thanks! I'll do that right now. I'm pretty sure I lubricated it during the build, but it has been quite some time. Doh!

Yeah, a thick grease is best because it stays on the parts longest.  Generally every 100 hours or so is ok in my experience, depends on how humid the air is.

5 (edited by dethcookie 2014-08-20 20:36:30)

Hey Tim, got the parts I ordered today and noticed that when I put it all back together, the barrel is able to slide back and forth now that there's no thrust plate. Is this okay? I vertically mount the enclosure and know it will slip down. Am I supposed to use the second set of black spacers? While that will help a little bit, I think it'll still slide forward about 1/2". Thanks.

Post's attachments

01.jpg
01.jpg 1.69 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

02.jpg
02.jpg 1.69 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

That's definitely not ok - you need the second set of spacers in the gap shown in photo 02.jpg.

7 (edited by dethcookie 2014-08-20 20:53:15)

That's what I figured. The spacers I have though still aren't long enough. Maybe I can use washers or just print some to the proper length?

*Edit*
Looking at the manual for the latest rev, I don't understand how the same thing doesn't happen on the newest Filastruders.

Post's attachments

manual.jpg 17.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Spacer.jpg 73.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You also need to use the white spacers or the laser cut spacers that were included with your kit enclosure.

The stock design uses wood that is 3/4" thick. Each laser cut piece is 1/4" thick.

Totally forgot about those spacers. Thanks yet again!

Much better methinks. Thanks again Tim.

Post's attachments

spacers.jpg
spacers.jpg 78.75 kb, file has never been downloaded.