Topic: how to tell abs from pla (black color)

I purchased a bunch of abs and pla from Robert before he sold Open Source Printing.  My problem is that the masterbatch was not labeled as to plastic type.  What temp can I use to tell abs from pla?  All the other other colors I was able to match from existing masterbatch bags that I had gotten from him in the past.  The biggest problems is that Black is Black no matter what kind of plastic it is.

Bob

Re: how to tell abs from pla (black color)

I think it was universal. Have you tried contacting the new owner?

lite a match to a pellet and see what it smells like.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

The black ABS and PLA colorant I sell is from Rob. The dull, matte black pellets are ABS and the thinner, shiny colorant is for PLA. Email me a photo of both on a white piece of paper if your still not sure and I will let you know which is which.

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

if it melts and smells like maple syrup its PLA, burnt plastic odor=ABS

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

PLA brakes when cold
ABS bends

As above mentioned, smell is anothergreatest way to identify it.

7 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-13 07:57:46)

sometimes PLA is more brittle. but PLA dont spool off as easy as ABS either it drags, squeaks as you pull it off spool even though more glossy. if sealed in bags I know of no way to tell for sure

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs