Topic: Slicer Shootout

I've started a series on my blog where I am comparing several different slicers to see what kind of results they give for the same model with the same settings (as close as possible).  I am comparing-

Slic3r 097
Slic3r 096
Slic3r 072b
Cura (Skeinforge 50 frontend)
Skeinforge 39
KISSlicer

With these slicers I printed a modified version of Make Magazine's Torture Test (with added torture), the Stelliform Owl, Tiny Yoda at .1mm, and a few other test items. 

I also want to test support, possibly with a My Little Pony.  Some MLP models have some very thin wings that need to be supported, and due to the way they were converted for printing tend to be very fragile so it should make a good challenge.  I haven't had much luck with Slic3r's support material on Ponies in the past, so it would be an opportunity to see if there has been some improvement.  Also I've been under some pressure to print more ponies so this will serve both purposes.

I have the first two posts up so far, starting here - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … omparison/

Re: Slicer Shootout

I know this is a lot to ask, Ian... But could you also run the slicer tests at .3 vs .1 mm? I'm wondering which slicer does best at what resolution, but haven't dialed everything in for .1 mm prints yet.

Awesome stuff Ian, looking forward to reading the results.

4 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-05 03:42:28)

Ian, you really modified that torture test to the extreme! Will you be using repetier-host for all prints?

Edit: Just saw you posted a new blog with the prints. Thanks for all this great info!

Technically it was Repetier, but running the prints off of SD took the computer out of the equation.

Everything was .3mm, except the Yoda which is specifically for testing .1mm.  I have profiles for Cura and Slic3r that I will post later.  KISSlicer can save profiles, but not export them.

6 (edited by caswal 2012-12-05 10:07:19)

Ian, if you want something that has fine detail to test 0.1mm or be a hard scafolding test, maybe this will suite your needs:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jO8JbGjahQ0/UL8YoFHpdCI/AAAAAAAAAtU/XGG3VZwx4qs/s480/payi_render.png

Post's attachments

payi.STL 1.87 mb, 16 downloads since 2012-12-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

Interesting read Ian, thanks for taking the time :-)

I have been playing around with the Skeinforge settings (cannot test for sure still waiting for my SD3) and I have found some interesting results.  Skeinforge does take longer to make the G-Code, but take a look at these pics.  Which one looks better to you, BTW the part in question is the Z-Wobble fix on Thingiverse.

Post's attachments

Skeinforge.png 721.76 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Slic3r.png 730.54 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.