Topic: Help wiring my Filastruder Kit?

Dear Soliforum and Filastruder Community,
       I have been working on assembling my Filastruder kit, and I think that I have the mechanical assembly complete. However, I have reached the electrical part and cannot figure out how to wire the Filastruder. I am using the present Filastruder model (#1117) with the Sestos D1S-2R-24 PID Temperature Controller. I have seen other help for other PID models, but not for the current one. If it helps, my PID Temp controller is the one without pin #2. Please help me with diagrams, pictures, or written instructions if you have any help or suggestions. After I get the wiring figured out, I would be willing to create a Fritzing sketch for future troubleshooters. Thanks, icecats

Re: Help wiring my Filastruder Kit?

There's a wiring diagram and step by step instructions included in the PDF...

3 (edited by icecats 2014-07-29 13:36:44)

I am having a little trouble with the Filastruder mechanical assembly with the black nylon standoffs and flanges. Will someone please confirm if the below picture is correct? If it helps, I am using the most recent Filastruder model (#1117). Please help.      Thanks, icecats

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.38 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

4 (edited by icecats 2014-07-29 03:43:30)

There's a wiring diagram and step by step instructions included in the PDF...

Wow... I feel so silly, I guess that I never scrolled down. Just to be sure... This is for the model of PID that I described, correct? Thanks so much, icecats

Yes.

6 (edited by icecats 2014-07-29 16:49:58)

Dear Soliforum and Filastruder community,
I am having a fair amount of trouble during the mechanical assembly of the Filastruder. No matter how I position the flanges and bearings, the auger always feels like it cannot slide and turn well. If you have any suggestions, then please help. My Filastruder is # 1117. Thanks, icecats
By the way, below is a picture of my current setup.

Post's attachments

capturedvideo.MOV 1014.83 kb, 19 downloads since 2014-07-29 

image.jpg
image.jpg 279.75 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

There's no picture attached. Can the auger slide freely without flanges or bearings? Did you fully deburr the barrel?

I have added a photo and video to the original post. The auger seems to slide/turn just fine when it is in the black pipe. However, when I attach the assembly to the wooden upright support, the whole thing feels like it is rubbing. Where exactly are the thrust bearing, nylon white ring, and clamp on the auger supposed to be in relation with the wooden upright. Thanks, icecats

That's not quite right, but also fine. Washers go under bolt heads, usually the bolts face the other way.

It is possible that the shaft collar is running against the hole in the wooden upright. Can you check if that's the case?

I believe that the collar is rubbing. Should I just sand down the hole? Also, I have seen other parts of the forum talking about compressing the bearing??? Can you please explain this? Thanks for all of the help and support, icecats

Sanding down the hole is optional, or you can let the shaft collar wear on it. Usually this means you haven't properly centered the flange over the hole.

Compressing the thrust bearing seems pretty self explanatory to me, I don't know how to better explain it. You need to hold it compressed, pushing the auger towards away from the nozzle end while completing the assembly steps, or else thrust load will end up being transferred to the motor (for which it is not rated).

12 (edited by icecats 2014-07-29 22:03:42)

How does this look below. The auger can slide back and forth, but I presume that when the Filastruder is extruding the auger slides back, sandwiching the thrust bearing between the rear flange and pressure from extruding... Correct? When I attach the auger to the motor, the auger should be all the way back, correct. Thanks, and please look at the picture below. Thanks, icecats

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 182.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Definitely not right. Will post more soon.

At a computer now.

1.) the motor and auger should be lined up (coaxial), not at an angle to each other like they are now.
2.) Set of 4 black spacers between the upright and the thrust flange (look at step 6's picture)
3.) Set of 4 black spacers between the bolt head's washers and the thrust flange (look at step 6's picture)

Got it this time... Thanks, icecats

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 239.29 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Lookin' good.

Dear Soliforum and Filastruder community,
I have reached the electrical part of building my Filastruder, and was just wondering which components had polarity. Specifically, the motor and heater. Also which outer terminal on he switches does the wiring description refer to? Thanks, icecats

The heater is not polar, the motor will change directions, and I am not sure what you mean about the switch. The thermistor does need to be connected properly though and it has a + and - sign on it.

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

How do I tell which tabs to attach wires to the motor to. If I put them backwards, the motor will spin the wrong way, and the Filastruder will work wrong, correct? Thanks, icecats

I stripped the wires from the power supply and just wrapped it through the holes in the contacts to test the direction, then I soldered the wires in place. It should say the desired direction in the instructions if I remember correctly, but I build mine a few months ago so I could be mistaken. I just checked my machine and it turns clockwise.

www.Revolve3D.com
[email protected]
3D Printer Filament, ABS Pellets, PLA pellets, Colorant, and Accessories

Clockwise as viewed from the nozzle, which is stated in the instructions. Fans are marked red/black, rest of the parts don't care.

Also I merged all of your threads together to keep things organized.

Thank you elmoret and Revolve 3D. I got my motor turning correctly, and everything wired up. Thanks, icecats