Topic: Did I put my Filastruder together right?

I had to take my Filastruder apart because the barrel bent during use.  I finally got to put it back together again! Yay!

Since it's broken before due to apparently failed construction, I'd like to check in before I put a load on it by trying to extrude. 

My extruder is a v1.2.  I know I got the wiring correct - it's the same as it was before the barrel bent.  The nuts and bolts on the middle support I tightened by hand, as was suggested.  The original washer in the socket broke during use, so I used another one.  I think the washer I used was slightly thicker than the original, because it didn't go on nicely with tape.  The washer-socket-shaft assembly did required a few light taps with a mallet to go on, though.  For the thermocouple, I put the end of it in the little divet in the brass nozzle.  Was that the right place for it to go?  Should the heating band be further forward or backwards or is it good?

Thank you in advance for your help!  I can take more pictures if they would be helpful.  smile

Post's attachments

image (2).jpeg 884.21 kb, 56 downloads since 2014-07-18 

image (3).jpeg 862.32 kb, 33 downloads since 2014-07-18 

image (4).jpeg 794.86 kb, 28 downloads since 2014-07-18 

image (5).jpeg 892.21 kb, 21 downloads since 2014-07-18 

image.jpeg 850.26 kb, 29 downloads since 2014-07-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Did I put my Filastruder together right?

from the picture it looks like your nipple has not been tightened enough or too much, the opening is facing a bolt and this will hinder the flow of pellets.

Thanks for the reply!  I wasn't incredibly worried about that, due to this question:  http://www.soliforum.com/post/49504/#p49504 and CraigRK's response to that.  I know that I can't tighten it any further by hand, and I don't want to risk bending it by tightening with a wrench.

How tight should it actually be?  Other than that I can't turn it, it looks like there's another full turn's worth of thread at the back of the flange.  Does that seem reasonable?

the first set of pellets you put through it will tighten it a bit more, hopefully it stops in a good place.  when it doesnt rotate anymore that is tight enough.  that being said, once it has stopped rotating you might need to adjust the auger positioning within the nipple again

Thanks!  Did you notice anything else that seemed off?

I usually center the heat band on the coupling.

Otherwise, things look fine. The thrust bearing is fully compressed, right? Ideally while holding the thrust bearing fully compressed, you should be able to push the motor towards the hopper a couple mm before it bottoms out on the socket. This ensures that thrust load is not transferred to the motor.

The nipple positioning is fine.

Yup!  I had someone else hold the bearing nicely compressed while I put it all together.  There are also a couple of mm of gap in the socket for it to push back into. 

Additionally, I think I may have found the reason the barrel bent in the first place - the person who assembled the filastruder in the first place had the thermocouple end measuring between the heater and the nipple-nozzle coupling.  The Filastruder was getting the temperature measurement straight from the heater, so we were probably starting it at a significantly lower temperature than we should have been, since the PID wasn't measuring at the nozzle.

Thanks for all your help!

That would definitely, 100% cause the nozzle to bend. There's a roughly 20C delta between those two places, and extruding ABS at 160C nozzle temps isn't going to go well.

The instructions even say to put it in the hole in the side of the nozzle. sad

We fixed it!  It's in the right place this time!