1 (edited by rtrski 2012-12-02 23:37:00)

Topic: STL export quality settings - potential sticky?

Hi all.  I was observing that my circular objects (forget hysteresis and backlash right now) were obviously polygonal facets with only about 12 facets e.g. 30 deg per segment.  And it got me wondering if that were the only option, regardless of diameter.

Turns out in Sketchup I can't find any options for altering the STL export faceting using the freeware plugin.  But on Creo Elements / Direct Modeling Express 4.0, you DO have an options dialog for STL exports to set both the fidelity of the export in distance terms and in angular terms (and you can set the STL file export to Binary vs. ASCII - both will read into Skeinforge but binary is obviously a lot more efficient of a file format). 

For a 100mm+ diameter ring-like part, exporting to 5 deg faceting looks wayyyyy smoother.  Also seems to print a bit slower, obviously the g-code has far more instructions for the larger number of shorter segments, so in a way improving the faceting of the STL export may also assist with hysteresis/backlash overshoot type issues as well....

Haven't further explored FreeCAD either.  Maybe a sticky with STL export recommendations would be helpful ?  I bet the STL faceting quality would also be a valuable tool for those going to the 0.1mm prints (I'm not yet - so far my parts don't require that level of surface finesse, and I don't want the extra print time).

One new wrinkle though:  just printed a part that's supposed to slip over 10.5mm solid-core fiberoptic lightpipe.  My 'old' export with 30 deg facets was designed to a 5.55mm radius, and was a nice friction fit.  Same part exported to 5 deg facets and ... you guessed it.  No more friction, what was supposed to be a tight bushing slides right along the 10.5mm fiber, even has a teensy bit of audible 'rattle' if you shake it.  So with more facets in my STL...less need to 'round up' hole sizes.  Yes, I know this is obvious, just didn't know it would be this evident at that low a diameter even!

Post's attachments

Creo_STL_settings.JPG
Creo_STL_settings.JPG 89.25 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-12-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: STL export quality settings - potential sticky?

Just saw the hint in another thread that in Sketchup you can type "Xs" where "X" is a number after creating a circle,  and it sets the number of facets to that circle, e.g. 36, 72, etc.  Default is 24.

Presumably that facetization carries over into the STL export.

So that's Sketchup and Creo having STL fidelity options, of a sort, for curvature rendering.

Any others? Buehler? Buehler?