Topic: Vertical Filastruder Hopper Shaker

Hi All,

I prefer extruding filament with the Filastruder mounted vertically. This way it can be left permanently mounted on a wall taking up essentially zero floor space.
This configuration however is more prone to pellet feed problems because the hopper feeds in from the side. To eliminate any pellet holdup or jams I fitted a vibrating motor to the hopper that shakes the feed hopper at regular intervals.
It seems to work quite well and kept the hopper feed tube properly filled during a five hour 1.75 mm filament run at 30 inches a minute. I fitted the shaker to Ian Johnson’s excellent Vertical Filastruder Hopper.
Alternatively, I think it can easily be fitted to any vertical hopper of your choice.
All the instructions, photos, STL files, and parts list is published here on Thingiverse:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:394971

Re: Vertical Filastruder Hopper Shaker

Nice! Thanks, as always!

30"/min is fast:

What polymer?
What temperature?
Have you done any other modification?

Re: Vertical Filastruder Hopper Shaker

elmoret,
It was MG94 ABS with 4% black colorant masterbatch. Yes, I have upgraded the Filastruder motor to a Filabot 24V DC geared motor. I also welded up a metal frame to accommodate it. I got very frustrated with the low extrusion rate of the original geared motor. After trying changes like increasing nozzle temperature and completely insulating the barrel I went from 3 to 6 inches per minute. Still way too slow to my liking. The new motor will do 35 rpm but I have it slowed down with a
PWM speed controller that is running at 60% of maximum ( LED readout on controller). I forgot to actually measure the actual auger rpm during the last run. I will do it next run. The original motor was turning the auger at 3 rpm.
Thanks for the reply.