1 (edited by nevrgonastopme00 2012-12-02 08:01:36)

Topic: Having issues with corners

I have had my solidoodle for a few months, and have just been getting poor print quality when compared to some of the prints I have seen on here.  I found this blog to be a great resource: solidoodletips.wordpress.com  but still cant get anything below ~.25mm layer height to look good at all.  Attached is a simple cube print, notice the curling at the edges while the main walls stay relatively flat.  If I lower the flow rate anything lower than what I have this print at, I get horrid prints, and I am not sure if there is a setting in skeinforge I am missing for how corners are handled.  Another concern of mine is that between my Z axis screw and stepper motor is the black coupling.  According to this: solidoodletips.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/1mm-layers-part-2/ The coupling was supposedly no longer used after early products, but my solidoodle 2 is in the 500 serial number range and uses the coupling still.  Notice that that cube is nice and wavy as well.  That is definitely a fault of the z axis being misaligned, and after all this time I am starting to wonder if that is why I am getting sub-optimal prints.  Can anyone chime in on what I might be seeing?  Are printers still being shipped with the coupling? Should I just say screw it and invest in an actual acme screw for the z axis?

EDIT: Sorry about the links not being actual links.  Anti-spam on the forum software disallowed links in my post since I just now created this account.

Post's attachments

DSCN2254.JPG 913.43 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Having issues with corners

try the printable backlash parts first.

I have absolutely no idea what that means.  Are you talking about something like this: wiki.solidoodle.com/z-axis-anti-backlash ?  Would that also solve my wobble issue?  Should I pursue solidoodle to get a threaded rod that doesn't use the coupling?  A little direction would be nice, since thats what I came here for in the first place.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34397

I believe this is what you're after. Good luck!

Does the top of the rod move around a lot when the bed is about halfway down?  Having the ABS coupler doesn't mean it won't be straight, but it is more likely.   Mine had some wiggle, but I didn't really see the effect until I printed at .1mm layers.  Try the Z backlash fix first and see how it looks.

Ill get that printed up and tested in the next couple days.  Thanks for the info.  Ian, mine does wiggle, and its pretty noticable at around .2mm, the picture in my first post was .17mm and it is quite noticeable.

Looks better today, but am still seeing a pretty good wobble.  Going to do some more refinements and post more pictures in a bit.