1 (edited by Ty 2012-12-01 19:19:36)

Topic: Connection between Zstepper & threaded rod? z wobble

I have been looking through all of the solutions for Z-wobble seeing as when I print at .2mm there is a noticeable thread wobble in my print. I am still investigating what variable is causing it of the many variables that people talk about.

Instead of turning this thread into another thread about Z-wobble, lets keep this on the topic of just the Z stepper, threaded rod, and the assembly to mount it to the print bed.

My question is, does anyone have any experience or photos with the assembly/connection of the threaded rod and the z-stepper?

I'm thinking worst case scenario I could start investing my time in looking for a new threaded rod and ways to fit a new one into my printer. Just a thought right now, but it's always good to have options.

Attached are 2 images we can use in this discussion, for example if I wanted to indicate the rod, I would say PH01_02. Feel free to use these images in other threads as well.

http://i.imgur.com/OFB76.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/swzIF.jpg?1

-Ty

Re: Connection between Zstepper & threaded rod? z wobble

I have a high precision 40tpi 6mm Haydon-Kerk LS and Anti-Backlash nut sitting right here.  There are 8mm left on Ebay, but they did not have the 40 tpi as this 6mm does.  As far as attachment goes...there are a couple of options: Shaft Replacement (ideal) or a coupling (hose or pro made).

Where are you noticing the most wobble, (is it at the base of a tall part, or all the way up a tall part?)

if you lower your carriage about 2/3rds of the way down (4") can you visibly see the z rod moving from side to side where there may be a slight bend in it?

Can you show a photo of your prints to show what the wobble that you;re talking about is?

4 (edited by Ty 2012-12-03 14:54:19)

http://goo.gl/TKqkp Left: after tightening sd2 plywood nutholder and reprinting Znuthugger -- Right: before 

The wobble is pretty much consistently across the whole print.

This weekend I took apart the solidoodle plywood nutholder and re-assembled it and tightened everything keeping a close eye on measuring the distance between the threaded rod and the smooth guide rods (with digital calipers) at various places along their lengths making sure it was the same along the whole length to within .1mm. This did seem to help a bit and I re-printed the Z-nuthugger ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36177 ) at .95% its original size for a closer tighter fit.

While the plywood build platform stock nutholder was removed I did try moving the Z stepper to see the wobble with no support from the nut. You can clearly see the rod wobble from left to right, front to back within the hole in the build platform. I'd say its moving about 2 -3 mm.

Once back together I could see it visibly moving from side to side when it is about 4" down.

This begs the question I set out to answer in this thread, how does the stepper connect to the threaded rod? Has anyone replaced it? Do you have any photos? Experience, knowledge, know how, magic spells... etc. smile

Like I said it may be an alternative that I will look into for getting my printer as fine tuned as possible.

-Ty

If it is that bad I would ask for another assembly...mine is straight, but I do think that the real leadscrew is going to clear up the problems overall.

The bottom of the Z rod is drilled out so it slips over the motor shaft.  Earlier models used a couple made of ABS.  At least one person in the Google Group replaced theirs with a lead screw and used a steel coupling.

IanJohnson wrote:

The bottom of the Z rod is drilled out so it slips over the motor shaft.

as long as she can't slip I'm fine with it.  Can't beat the SD price

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= … ;_from=R40

like that?

the only thin that would concern me is:

Solidoodle switched to a drilled/press fitted z screw as the coupled z screw gave loads more wobble.
will a metal fitted Z screw coupler actually fix the problem or will it introduce more problems?
so far as changing to a proper lead screw goes,
I'm not convinced that this is the be-all-end all solution.

I don't think that a direct replacement (e.g. m6 for m6 replacement) would be enough.

after all the threaded rod started life straight. -thin rods are likely to bend!
If I were replacing the z-screw and going for a proper lead screw and nut I'd got for a larger diameter if only because that would be less likely to warp. (although if would also mean firmware changes as the step - moved distance will have changed).

basically, I think a similar gauge lead screw will sort out backlash problems, but I would think that the screw would be just as susceptible to bending during shipping as the threaded rod was as it was shipped to Solidoodle.

I've read a blog post from a RepRap supplier talking about how much better their prints were since attaching the rod directly to the motor, rather than using a coupler like in the ebay link.  Makerbot sells a motor with a lead screw attached in a more direct method.  I don't know enough about motors to know how it's done.

http://store.makerbot.com/threaded-rod- … motor.html

They sent me a new screw, I haven't had time to replace it, but they told me how.

using a metal tube larger than the screw, slide that down over the top.

Then using a nut thread that down against the tube until the leadscrew pops off from the motor.

Attach the new leadscrew using some sort of super glue.

"Get a shaft which is slightly larger than the Z-screw.  Then you'll need a nut which you can screw down against the shaft. What is going happen is that the shaft will eventually force the Z-screw off of the motor. "

"You said you're using a new brass screw.  We use a special metal glue.  It's a super-glue.  You can use any super glue.  We use threadlocker red.  Apply 2 drops to the opening in the screw.  Apply one drop to the top of he motor and hold the motor so you can push down onto a firm object holding the screw against the motor.  When you've set it.  Put it aside for about 4 or 5 hours to dry.  Then reinstall the z-screw onto the printer."

The only thing here the I question is the "brass" part I didn't think the new screw they sent me was brass, I'll try and find time this week to take a look and maybe even do this procedure.

That's exactly what I was wondering zimmer, thanks a bunch for the post. If you can take some photos of the dis-assembly / assembly whenever you get to it, that would be amazing!

If you have any before after print photo's too that would be amazing too!

Does anyone have any experience with the couplers? I think I'll stay with the hollowed out z-rod myself, but good to know. Maybe it would be easier to fine tune if it ever did start to lean to one side or the other.

-Ty

so the coupler. (be it ABS, alu or steel) is likely not the answer.

(actually I feel that it *could* be the answer for some, the trouble with the coupler is that it's so easy to get the rod and stepper axle non-aligned/non concentric, so if you were really really careful you probably could get decent prints using this...)

The best fix is probably always going to be a precision drilled screw that is either exactly the same size, (and you'll heat the screw to expand it before press fitting onto the stepper) or driller slightly oversize, (and you'll glue it to the stepper).

The glued method would seem to allow more play in the fit and more opportunity for the z screw to set at an angle and give you problems.

Even then I'm still not convinced that the standard diameter z screw is going to hold up that well, if we seriously believe that the amount of people reporting wobble issues all have bent screws then why do we think that a similar diameter lead screw is less likely to bend, either in transit or in use?

but we still come back to the questions:
is everyone experiencing wobble? -is this a generic issue.
how are we identifying this wobble? -what do prints look like, heavy banding, but at what spacing?
is one persons wobble verified against another persons printer?
(so imagine that one gcode file has heavy banding on your printer, but no banding on mine. then we know that all settings flow etc are the same (and assuming that we both measure our filament width to be the same and nozzle temp is measured (with hardware not just what's reported) then we could say that a printer was *likely* to be at fault.

it would seem that is one person had issues on all prints then there are two likely candidates.
Z screw or slicing software settings.

There is a thread where one user is seeing near perfect prints from skeinforge and heavy banding from slic3r, in this case do we blame the machine or blame slic3r?

13 (edited by Ty 2012-12-04 18:30:14)

Very good point Danny. I think what we need is a control .gcode file set up with very specific dimensions, xyz and layer width that has been proved to print perfectly on someones Solidoodle2 at .1mm , .2mm and .3mm. Something simple like (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5573 // .5mm thin wall.stl )

From there we could post our wobble with a read out from calipers of the spacing of the banding. Maybe I will make a little staircase that can sit in front of the .5mm hollow box at set step increments of 5mm to illustrate visually the scale of the object.

Then we can determine based on that image of the print if this is a consistent issue across solidoodle2 z-axis or a gcode issue.

The first question I should ask.. could anyone supply us with a .gcode file setup for solidoodle2 of the box (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5573) that they are certain that it is printing without a wobble?

.3 .2 and .1 would be great.

Thanks guys, ill get on making that little stair case tonight.

idea for stair case that I mentioned - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i799v1wpt0hc … _image.jpg

-Ty

i have also wobble probleme on all print...

the probleme is even worst...

i have a S2 1st batch with a abs coupler.. i use the original skinforge of the pack.... no wooble or very little in .3mm print, but moderate wobble in .1mm print..

Solidoodle send me a new motor without the coupler.... not i have always wooble (in .3 or .1mm)..
less with skinforge... but a lot with Slic3r...

i made some test and it seems that the wooble are linked with the speed of the printing head...

speed increase.... worst wobble

The problem probably isn't wobble, but overshoot in XY.  I had my coupler z rod replaced as well, and while the end of the original rod danced all over the place, the top of the new one is solid. 

If there is more banding or misaligned layers when printing faster, it would be from the nozzle moving a little too far due to some wiggle, or bending somewhere in the system.  I've noticed that one of the Y axis pulley mounts at the front of my printer bends back and forth a little on faster moves which might be giving me some inconsistency.  Someone posted some beefier replacements on Thingiverse which I think I'll try out - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36446.

If you are using Slic3r, the best thing to do is turn your outer perimeter speed to something slow like 20-30mm/s and let the inner perimeters and infill run faster.

16 (edited by Ty 2012-12-04 22:47:18)

Another variable appears! I'll be sure to give that a shot tonight Ian. Thanks!!

Although I gotta say, when printing the calibration .5mm hollow square it moves realllly really slow.. It took an hour to do it at .1mm

here are my prints  .1mm (repetier/slicer) , .2mm (pronterface/skeinforge) and .3mm (pronterface/skeinforge) http://goo.gl/8FIsa

-Ty

I've talked with Solidoodle and they believe I have a bent rod. It is very very minor and I don't believe it warrants a replacement. I will be taking it upon myself to have a brass (or something stronger if anyone has any recommendations) threaded z-rod milled by a machine shop. I live in Toronto Ontario and have priced it out from the University of Toronto. I think all in all it will be about $30 for the milling and about $20 for the material. CDN btw wink

I will be taking the z-rod off and attaching the new brass rod with zimmer62's method mentioned above.

I have asked Solidoodle for the exact measurements for the hole that is to be milled into the Z-rod but they have yet to get back to me (I'll bug em again after this)

In the mean time, does anyone happen to have a spare rod lying around that they could measure the depth and diameter of the milled hole for me? Bonus points for the diameter and depth of the stepper motor nubbin!!

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to take pics of the process as it unfolds. Probably sometime in the new year.

-Ty

Don't just make a brass version of what solidoodle uses if your going to replace everything: get a good name brand leadscrew. They have better thread profiles and generally come with anti-backlash nuts. Plus, the machine shop will have less work to do, as they just have to cut it to size and bore the hole on the end. You can get them for 40 dollars on ebay, with nut.

The stepper shaft itself looks to be about 5mm, so a drill in the neighborhood of 5mm or #9-#8 would be good. I would give them the motor and tell them what its for and let the machine shop decide. As to depth, boring it extra deep probably wont hurt anything, so have them bore it 3/4 inch (19mm).

Good tip Cwalster! Thanks! I will heed your advice!

If you were to recommend a good name brand lead screw, which would you recommend? link, etc.. Just an example to get me started on the right foot. As I've said before, I'm a noob when it comes to hardware, although I use artistic 3d software professionally. Hence my artistic anal-retentiveness for perfect precision smile .

-Ty

I hear you. I just ordered a Hayden-Kerk leadscrew off of ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/130803264561?ss … 1423.l2649 to be exact, and it's going to take a bit of work to get it to fit properly, but it should be exactly what I'm looking for. It's too long, but thats easy to fix. The major issue is the mounting system requires a 3/4-20 threaded plate to mount it to the bed. I'm probably going to print a blank out and then thread it on a lathe, assuming I cant just print the threads themselves (though I seriously doubt it'll print nicely).
Hayden-Kerk standard leadscrews are accurate to within .0006 in per inch of travel, which means over the full travel of the printer, it will, at most, be off .1mm. With their nut, it has at most .0125mm of backlash.

Ill be curious to see how changing the leadscrew/nut affects the wobble people talk about.  40 bucks for the screw/nut isn't bad at all