Topic: Converting JPG to STL (2D TO 3D)

Anyone recomends me a software or website to convert JPEG TO STLS ???..

Thanks

Re: Converting JPG to STL (2D TO 3D)

I don't know if there's anything out there that can automatically take a 2D pixel based image and convert it into a scalable 3D mesh. There's workaround though I'm sure.

Solidoodle 2 Pro - 3mm Glass Bed

I have done this with Blender. Exineport is correct...it is a workaround, but excruciatingly time consuming.
Blender can be quite a bit of fun. But if you are unfamiliar with it, it can be a massive learning curve.

If you find anything that manually transfers 2D to 3D, please share! big_smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Depends what you mean by transferring to an STL. If you want to transfer a flat image to a mostly flat STL you can use the Thingiverse lithopane (thing:74322). If you want to turn a picture of an object into a 3d representation then no. This is a manual process done in an application like Blender.

I know there are some companies that produce items like custom bobbleheads so there may be something out there, but I would imagine it isn't cheap. I think there's also an application out there that will take multiple images, taken from different angles, and produce a 3D model. I'm not familiar with it though.

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

PhotoToMesh ( http://www.ransen.com/phototomesh/ ) does it with much less of a learning curve, but its isn't free software - it costs a small amount but means making jpgs into reliefs or lithopanes takes about 4-5 clicks total to end up in an STL.... Yes you can achieve the same results in Blender but you 'pay the price' in terms of having to ride the associated far higher learning curve...

6 (edited by Skyblue 2014-07-08 13:15:22)

yamilbrunet wrote:

Thanks

You might try to find free software called BMP2IGES...German, in English, works great if its still available, learning curve, but not bad.  I have and could send to you if you can't find online anymore.  Allows pictures to be converted and saved as stl's, or a format called IGES .

7 (edited by LdyMox 2014-07-07 12:59:48)

I haven't tried the PhototoMesh. But another free solution with a few more steps.. you can use inkscape to convert the JPG to a SVG via bitmap tracing, and then import the SVG into a TinkerCad and extrude the shape. Really depends on what you want to do with the image.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Skyblue wrote:
yamilbrunet wrote:

Thanks

You might try to find free software called BMP2IGES...German, in English, works great if its still available, learning curve, but not bad.  I have and could send to you if you can't find online anymore.  Allows pictures to be converted and saved as stl's, or a format called IGES.  Don't like tooting my on horn, but if you search for Skyblue on thingiverse, you will see many things I've made using this software as the starting point.  Also search for Rag-Nar...

link to :

http://geisel.ba-bautzen.de/bmp2iges.htm

Shapeways also has a basic service for this.
https://www.shapeways.com/creator/2dto3d#landing

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Do you need to pay to get the STL file? I see you can order it as a physical object.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Ah I checked, it can be downloaded free (only worked in mozilla for me and not in IE) in .x3db format which apprently programs like Netfabb can open and convert it to I presume most need STLs.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

At www.selva3d.com you can do it for free!