Topic: A little help - Issues

I've been struding for some time now (Filastruder 867), and I've decided to rebuild it for a few reasons:

1.  Crazy slow extrusion from the day I originally built it.  It takes over 2 days to fill one spool of filament.  I've readjusted the auger, but I can't seem to get decent extrusion rates.

2.  The bearing completely fell apart and parts of the metal had been worn away.  I'm guessing something isn't setup correctly.

So, with those two items, I'm not sure if my assembly is correct or????  Pics are below that show the auger 1/4" from end of the tube.  It also shows how I have the screws assembled on the flange and filastruder enclosure.  Documentation is a bit thin in regards to this setup with the enclosure and the parts that I was provided.
Also, I'm not sure how far I should screw the coupling and nozzle on.  I'm guessing that my crazy slow extrusion is due to an incorrect spacing somewhere in this area. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Post's attachments

IMG_4759.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG 205.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_4760.JPG
IMG_4760.JPG 332.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_4761.JPG
IMG_4761.JPG 232.76 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: A little help - Issues

Did you lubricate the thrust bearing?
What material? (Resin ID?)
What temperature?

elmoret wrote:

Did you lubricate the thrust bearing?
What material? (Resin ID?)
What temperature?

Yes, I lubricate the thrust bearing.  Do you recommend a specific brand of lubricant?
I have been using ABS plastic from Open Source Printing (which is now closed) and another brand of ABS with the same results.  All brands that I have used are MG94.
While I have tested ranges from 180-192, my current setup is for 188. 

Generally, my filament is just fine....it just takes FOREVER to make.  Like I said earlier, in 48 hours of making filament, I don't even fill a single spool.

Also, do you have any recommendations on how much spacing there should be inside the coupling?  I have the auger sticking 1/4" out from the barrel, but then we screw on the coupling and then the nozzle.  That still leaves a lot of space and I'm wondering if that's the issue.

1/4" sticking out is what I've always run. There's less space than you think once they're both screwed in. I'm not sure what the problem could be.

I just use light oil, but it shouldn't matter. 1200 hours on the original bearing.

Still not extruding like it should.  In fact, it's worse now.
I'm going to upload a few more pics and video to see if that helps diagnose the issue(s).

Ok, so here's a short video (hope it works) of the auger running.  It turns at the correct speed, but the one thing I notice is that the pellets don't appear to be traveling down the tube.  They seem to just sit and spin in the auger.  No pellets = no filament.  So, is this the issue?  What's the fix?

Here's another video, this time showing how quickly the pellets are being pushed to the extruder end.   I also attached a picture of my nozzle end.  I measured the inside of the coupling and there is 20mm from the edge of the coupling (where I screw in the extruder nozzle) and the tip of the auger.  The auger sticks out exactly 1/4" from the end of the shaft.

I did note that there was melted plastic further up the shaft than I expected.  After removing it, the pellets began to flow freely down the shaft.  I checked my temp with a separate temperature gauge, and it's correct.

Help!  Extrusion rate = 0 now.

Post's attachments

IMG_4814.JPG 1.63 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Did you put the nozzle back on and try extruding after clearing the melted plastic? Did you verify that the nozzle is clear (soak in acetone to confirm)?

If yes to both, the only thing I can think of is there's an oddity to the auger or barrel. I can replace them if you'd like.

elmoret wrote:

Did you put the nozzle back on and try extruding after clearing the melted plastic? Did you verify that the nozzle is clear (soak in acetone to confirm)?

If yes to both, the only thing I can think of is there's an oddity to the auger or barrel. I can replace them if you'd like.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes...to both.  The nozzle had just been cleaned and the screen replaced.

I really wish I had an answer to all this (because the filament I had been making was working perfectly), but if you would like to try a new barrel and auger, I have no problems with that.

One question....when I assemble the nylon collar and then the thrust bearing, should they be "squished" between the two flanges, or should the entire assembly "free float" about 3-5mm?  I thought it was supposed to float so as pressure is built up, it pushed the assembly back into the flange that's on the inside, by the motor.

Free float until the first time plastic is run through the machine. Is that not the case?

elmoret wrote:

Free float until the first time plastic is run through the machine. Is that not the case?

No, that is what I have.  It free floated a bit, but now it's solid.

Well, after countless attempts to figure out what's going on, I'm ready to throw in the towel.  I know that everything is properly built/setup.  Temps have been double checked by a different temp gauge.  Plastic is good.  Motor is good.  I have no idea what the issue is, short of a problem with the auger or barrel.
If I fiddle with it, I can max out at about 4" a minute.  Not good.

Happy to swap out the barrel and auger - just send an email through the Filastruder website.

Is that 4"/min on 1.75mm filament?

elmoret wrote:

Happy to swap out the barrel and auger - just send an email through the Filastruder website.

Is that 4"/min on 1.75mm filament?

Email sent!  Thanks so much!

Yes, this is 1.75mm.