Topic: Ta02sn (RC car conversion)

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share a project I am currently working on.

I have an (unhealthy) obsession with RC cars, and have always wanted to build my own from scratch. To test the waters a bit with this, I decided to take an old car of mine and shorten and narrow it. The donor car is a Tamiya TA02 (http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/product … ader_1.jpg) and change it to the same size as an m chassis (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ … ro/top.jpg). The ta02 is fairly modular, and a lot of parts from the m chassis cars fit onto the ta02 without any issues. The biggest hurdle is changing the chassis over to a ~45mm shorter version while still shoehorning the same gear into it.

I started this project quite a while ago, but stopped for a few reasons. Back then I put together all of the parts to make the width correct, and started making some alu plates for the chassis, but without machines (and the skills required) I couldn't ever quite get it right. I have started up the project again, this time I am printing out the main chassis. I am not super concerned about how durable it is, if I was I would have bought an m05 a while back, it is more to say I have done it.

The whole reason I started this was because of this page: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_mode … mp;id=4190
Prior to seeing that, I had put any major mods in the too hard basket. I have taken hondabikers name of the ta02sn (short and narrow) as in the end, the end product should be similar.

So far I have;

Narrowed the wheel track. - for this I bought the appropriate parts for the m03 and bolted them on. I had to build a new front shock tower which I made about a year back out of alu plate.

Built the main chassis (replacing the black tub in the photo above) - this took a lot of messing around with my calipers measuring locations and dimensions of posts. I started off by making the front and rear ends in OpenSCAD, testing for fit. Once I had this down pat, I stuck all the parts together with a very minimal mid frame to check to see how it all goes together. I found I was about 3mm out on my wheelbase, and I'd really struggle to fit the servo for steering in. I fixed the parts that needed attention, added some supports and structure around for rigidity and reprinted.

Built the radio plate - this will hold the radio and the electronic speed control. I originally made up a square plate, but after having trouble trying to fit the servo in, I have redesigned the plate to include a mount for this. The new version is printing as we speak.

Built the battery holder plate - there is a small bit of plastic that bridges over the battery that has holes for a peg to stop the battery from sliding out. I have printed a rectangular plate that didn't quite do the job, it was too wide and there was a fair bit of slop in the peg. I have redesigned it to be a bit thicker and have tightened up some of the tolerances I had around the battery so that it fits inside the body properly. This is printing out too.

Designed a replacement steering arm - unfirtunately over many years if use, one if the steering arms has given out and I have to replace it. I replicated the design as much as possible and will test it out after the other two plates are done.

Todo:

Test servo mounting
Test replacement steering arm
Assemble steering
Print replacement rear body tower - I bought a rover mini shell and the posts just don't make the height.
Mount electronics
Paint shell

That's enough of a story today. I will post some pictures of what I hack done so far in the morning. I have set up a time lapse camera on my printer, so if anyone is interested ill post up a video of the parts printing to YouTube.

So far I am super happy with the results I am getting. I'm not sure if there are any other rc folk on here, but if there are you'd know these cars can take a beating. It'll be interesting to see how well the parts stand up to a beating. If they break, no biggie, it means I have achieved my goal smile

Re: Ta02sn (RC car conversion)

I have done a fair bit to the car this morning. There are only three major outstanding things to get sorted.

Find and install a new prop shaft that is the correct length, ive found a few dogbone type shafts and ends that might work, just need to get them on order
the front diff is fairly broken, it needs to be replaced
paint the body!

I have attached a bunch of photos, anything in monster energy drink green (thanks 3dprintergear!) i have printed. The front shock tower that is made out of the unanodized aluminium is also custom made.

You can see in the pictures too that I forgot to make a hole for the power switch so i just drilled a hole in the side and mounted it there. I might make something up a bit more permanent later. Also, the rear body mounts are super dodgey. I am assuming they will last till the first time I roll the car, then i get to print a whole new rear shock tower that lets me mount the shocks the right way smile

Any questions, lemme know!

Post's attachments

IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG 2.13 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-12-02 

IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG 1.8 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-02 

IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG 2.11 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-02 

IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG 2.02 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-12-02 

IMG_2507.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG 2.13 mb, 6 downloads since 2012-12-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Body is painted.

Forgot to mention that the chassis that I printed doesn't quite fit on my bed, even with the glass extending it. When it printed I had two of the corners printing in mid air which meant that I got a bit of unsticking near the edges but other than that it printed great.

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.01 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Looking top notch!!! love the color choice smile

Thanks! Yeah I quite like green as you can probably tell. I'm super happy with how it has turned out. Ill probably have to remake the radio plate to move the servo out of the way to make room for the prop shaft.

pretenda wrote:

Body is painted.

Forgot to mention that the chassis that I printed doesn't quite fit on my bed, even with the glass extending it. When it printed I had two of the corners printing in mid air which meant that I got a bit of unsticking near the edges but other than that it printed great.

Very nice work sir.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

That's amazing, great work.  It's come together so well, keep updating.

do you see this ? :

open RC project

https://plus.google.com/communities/112 … 6143176146

www.thingiverse.com/thing:42198