Topic: 3D printer for 250

Anyone know of any kits or diy or assembled 3D printer that costs 250? Trying to get one for my birthday.

Re: 3D printer for 250

printrbot jr is the cheapest/reliable at 299.

3 (edited by wire10ga 2014-07-02 16:36:08)

Here is one that is Pre-order for $199
http://store.quintessentialuniversalbui … roduct=144

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

4 (edited by ggunners 2014-07-02 16:46:16)

Read up on the QUBD One up and Two up before ordering. A "maker" project for sure but capable of good prints once dialed in. Several have experienced long lead times of 2-3 months.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

5 (edited by rjp350z 2014-07-02 18:18:07)

I backed the Kickstarter for the QUBD-2Up for my wife.  Originally had a March estimated delivery date and just received about two weeks ago. Their shipping times and responses to issue has been very poor especially for getting replacement parts for broken or defective pieces..  Check out the long list of comments on their kickstarter page to get an idea before you buy one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu … t/comments

Should have time this weekend to start putting it together and will reply with a full review for you.

rjp350z wrote:

I backed the Kickstarter for the QUBD-2Up for my wife.  Originally had a March estimated delivery date and just received about two weeks ago. Their shipping times and responses to issue has been very poor especially for getting replacement parts for broken or defective pieces..  Check out the long list of comments on their kickstarter page to get an idea before you buy one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu … t/comments

Should have time this weekend to start putting it together and will reply with a full review for you.

True that. Backers got the worst of it. I have been patiently waiting for them to get their house in order before ordering a unit. Good news is they have finally finished fulfilling kickstarter units and are now moving on to webstore fulfillment.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Probably only RepRap style printers can be kitted for $250 (frame, motors, motherboards, extruder, belts, nuts & bolts).

The reason for the lack of $250 professional kits on the market is the lack of one very important part: profit margins (lol). Seems like only QU-BD has attempted it and seems pretty apparent what their quality of output is.. One wonders how much profit they managed to make on each unit shipped.

For just a little more money though, refurbished Solidoodles are popping up for $299 now...

The printrbot jr is decent for the price range, although it is a little higher than you're wanting (about 300).

elussya wrote:

The printrbot jr is decent for the price range, although it is a little higher than you're wanting (about 300).

printrbot jr is not even for sale anymore, dude.

elmoret wrote:
elussya wrote:

printrbot jr is not even for sale anymore, dude.

Wow- attitude much? Didn't realize that to be honest, been awhile since I was that strapped for cash.

Unlike you with the attitude, I was trying to be helpful, as I have a couple of friends with printrbot's, and all seem to love them.

Not like the printrbot simple is much more - $50 bucks. Skip a few latte's.

For a mere $70, here is the most hideous DIY printer I have seen.
The time and amount of effort put into it is laughable, but still a $70 printer big_smile
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140602- … parts.html

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

That thing is basically artwork. smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

OMG! Now if someone could come up with a formula for taking old inkjet printers / dvd players and turning them into 3d printers, THAT would be potentially under $100 and TRULY BRILLIANT!!!