1 (edited by cor5151 2014-06-30 09:45:14)

Topic: burnt motor, slow extrusions, low temp to blame?

I've been extruding constantly for 2 weeks or so and burnt out my motor, was doing pla @ 150-170c, and abs from 180-200, had really slow extrusions, like -1inch/m. could also have been loose wiring? my wiring skills are suck
looking into a cheap dc motor to replace the one on the gearmotor, i'll update on that.

just went through it and soldered all the wiring joins besides on the pid, and the crimp on the motor switch was very loose and slid right out of the crimp.. think i found my problem, guess I paid for that lesson.

Re: burnt motor, slow extrusions, low temp to blame?

150 is definitely on the cool side, and could have overloaded the motor. Did the motor get warm/hot? What serial number is your kit?

It's possible the bad crimp contributed, but I doubt it. What does the motor do now when you power it? Contact me through the Filastruder contact form if you end up needing a replacement.

Low extrusion speeds can be due to material choice and/or temperature choice. What material were you using (ABS and PLA come in many different flavors). Did you check the nozzle for debris?

SN was 1206, I used Abs from osp, and pla was natureworks. when i plug it in it shorts out and kills the power supply, will kick back on and move a tiny bit then shut down again.
It was getting hot when it was in use for long periods of time doing pla, abs not so much. i checked for debris pretty often or used unfiltered nozzle and didn't see much or any difference in extrusion per minute. seemed to be slow though, but i'm not sure what normal is, i was getting normally around 1 inch a minute, i followed the instuctions pretty closely, but could position of the auger affect extrusion time? maybe it wasn't getting pressure high enough..

Anyways the dc motor is toast, I'll contact you about a replacement. Would like to try the beta motor, and rework this gear motor into some frankenmotor.. or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096B … &psc=1
might work as a replacement.

1 inch per minute is way too slow. It was either assembled improperly (post photos, please) or temperatures far too low were used. What speeds did you see when doing the initial purge with ABS at 180C? Could also be that poor crimp job, I suppose.

You should see 6-24"/min on 1.75mm, and 2-8"/min on 3.0mm filament.

5 (edited by cor5151 2014-07-01 22:40:44)

ok, went through the thing and it seems the spacing on the shaft collar face was -10mm or so from, I must have measured to the wrong point.. so auger was extra 10mm deeper, probably caused too much strain on the motor twisting melted plastic that close to the nozzle.
I'll try order the new motor later this week. Have some new materials to try..

The 95mm is an estimate, how far it sticks out from the nipple is what matters.

elmoret wrote:

The 95mm is an estimate, how far it sticks out from the nipple is what matters.

The instruction is really unclear about that. You provide a photo with the 95mm measured by calipers, which implies that it should be exact as possible. And after that when you say it "should stick out about 1/4" the reader thinks it must be what he gets with that 95mm set.

Fair enough, instructions noted accordingly.

ok, so i replaced the dc motor on the gearmotor with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096B … &psc=1 and it works great, a little louder, seems like it might be faster too but im also running off a atx psu, easy replacement too, just a update for anyone with a early failure of the dc.
also have the beta motor now, so i can test that too.

Nice! Same bolt pattern/shaft diameter?

11 (edited by cor5151 2014-07-10 22:56:14)

its a d-shaft, but only at the top 7.7mm the bottem 4.5mm is round, thats the part that fits the small gear. and the extra has plenty of room inside the gearbox. i'm sure most other motors of the same size would work, this one was just so cheap I bought 5x for other projects.
and yes same bolts pattern, screwed in no problems.

Also available here:

http://www.parts-express.com/mabuchi-mo … m--259-210

Its 5560RPM NL, the stock motor is 4500RPM - that's why yours is louder now. Current draw is a little higher, stall torque is also a little higher - but a good match for a replacement. Nice find!