Topic: support material slic3r settings

I really like the pattern and support material when slicing with xyzware. What is its equivalent in slic3r? I like how I can set temp to the bed with slic3r and also how it draws the parameter versus the line on the edge of the bed...i can never get mine to stick well and it ruins my prints...

Re: support material slic3r settings

i believe what you want is rectilinear at a 45 degree angle to the object

http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/support-material

Thanks Enginerd.

I just received a spool of PLA filament. Any suggestion on settings? Heat for bed and extruder? Speed of print?

Be careful with PLA.. I have tried and it clogs the extruder. If it starts to click while extruding, I would unload it and stick to ABS. If you get some successful prints with PLA please post your brand and settings

heidkampn1 wrote:

Be careful with PLA.. I have tried and it clogs the extruder. If it starts to click while extruding, I would unload it and stick to ABS. If you get some successful prints with PLA please post your brand and settings

Thanks for the warning, What settings did you use? So I can avoid those numbers.

Always use the temps that the filament recommends. If you find it's harder to load the pla, there is a metal lever in the top left of the extruder (looking at it from the front). If you pull the lever to the left, it opens up the teeth of the extruder much wider than the diameter of the filament so you can slide it in easily. Pla did not damage my extruder, it just would not accept it ( or at least the brand). When you extrude some to load the filament, it will come out as expected. To test if it forms a clog, wait a few minutes and try to extrude some again. If it extrudes normally, I would try a small test print, if it clicks as it's extruding, I would unload until someone finds a temporary solution. Let me know how it works out

Spent 2 days trying different things. No solution found yet. Clicking happens within a few minutes after starting to print(I beleive it is extruder heat is too high)

Slic3r>gcode>xyzware>print(firmware 1.1.G).

With sclic3r I was able to set temp for buildbed and the extruder.
The problem is that the printer start up heats up bed and extruder set by the cartridge. It waits for those two temp to reach before starting. Then with Slic3r command it waits to reach the temperature set by those. But if its lower tempertature It start right away even tho its high it dosnt wait for it to go down.
It cause my first layer to be wavy and then the extruder started to click...and stall.

xyzware> PLA export option during slicing on mac version>print(firmware 1.1.G).

The printer started printing a small object fine after 30 minute it started clicking... I thought that this would of been the winning combination... But alas.

I noted that the bed reached 89c, 201c for the  extruder. Worked great for half the build...

Im not to sure what else I can do from here. I guess ABS printing for me!

Are you using M109 and M190 G Code commands for the Extruder and the Bed tempatures? Those tell the printer to wait until the temp is reached before proceeding.

I tried the Bumat PLA. I tried for 4 hours I used there temperature recommendations,Went below and above the recommendations and still couldn't get it to print. I couldn't get it to feed at all. After reading a around it seems the extruder gets to hot no matter what and cant extrude the filament.

Im interested since XYZ said the printer will be able to print PLA by Q4 of this year. I dont know if there going to use a special PLA that cant withstand the temperatures or if there will be a ADD ON part we have to buy to print in PLA.  My advice is just stay with ABS right now and save yourself some heartache.

There is PLA that will print at higher temps.

http://www.sainsmart.com/3d-printing/pl … -blue.html

Skestes have you printed with that on the da vinci?

heidkampn1 wrote:

Skestes have you printed with that on the da vinci?

No, because honestly ABS is working well for me (gluestick + ABS juice FTW) and ABS is stronger and longer lasting. I am going to try some NinjaFlex but not until I've got my settings dialed in as accurate as I can.

skestes wrote:

Are you using M109 and M190 G Code commands for the Extruder and the Bed tempatures? Those tell the printer to wait until the temp is reached before proceeding.

Ive set those in scl3r. Im not sure but i beleive that it does wait to reach that temperature but what happen if the temp is under the target...does the code say its reached?

if you set temp to 30

and currently its at 40.will it wait for it to cool off? or does it say its reached?

I believe it does wait to cool. At least thru repetier

heidkampn1 wrote:

I believe it does wait to cool. At least thru repetier

It dint seem to work thru firmware G. Started printing right away. Too bad PLA isnt available yet.

Sorry to resurrect this thread and to go off the original topic. But in case anybody find this and get discouraged from PLA.

It is very possible, I use it and absolutely love it.

you need to put a heatsink on you extruder barrel to cool it. The temp of the barrel rises to the glass trans. temp of PLA, causing the filament to melt in the barrel then the machine tries to push more material in, which melts and bulges out and jams in the barrel. Some people think the PLA swells but they are very, very wrong, seeing that PLA has a much lower thermal expansion coefficient than ABS and most other materials.

See this post for pics and details

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:794988

Da Vinci 2.0 Duo