Topic: Filament Expanding

Hello All,

I built a filastruder kit, and I am trying to get the filament to be 1.75mm in diameter but it ends up expanding to 2.25mm. This will not work with my printer, and I need to fix that. Also, the filament is grainy. I am using ABS pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

-mangoboy

Re: Filament Expanding

What ABS are you using? Can you post photos of your setup? I have never hard of die swell that significant, it is not normal and indicates something wi wrong with your ABS or your setup. What temperature are you extruding at?

3 (edited by mangoboy 2014-06-26 17:06:16)

I don't exactly know what type of ABS it is. It was lying around in our lab, but. I have attached pictures of our setup. We are extruding @ 180 C . Tell me if you need anymore pictures.

Post's attachments

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG 117.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG 101.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You didn't follow the directions on the filament guide, it's far too far away from the nozzle. There's dimensions for this in the instructions.

You also should not have those boards on top of the unit, you're transferring thrust to the motor for which it is not rated.

Why didn't you start with the included ABS that came with the kit? "Random ABS" is not good, it may have undesirable properties.

EDIT: You also assembled it completely wrong, flange is on the wrong side, spacers are wrong. Did you even look at the instructions?

I didn't build the extruder, someone else did. Thank you for pointing out the issues. I will  re-assemble it from scratch. The wooden blocks are there because the wood which the filastruder sits on is lifting from the base. The whole things is embeded into acrylic.

mangoboy wrote:

I don't exactly know what type of ABS it is. It was lying around in our lab, but. I have attached pictures of our setup. We are extruding @ 180 C . Tell me if you need anymore pictures.

It's probably ABS/PC blend.  Is it a gritty grey with what looks like chunks of dirt in the extruded plastic?