26 (edited by Weekend Avenger 2014-09-15 22:44:30)

Re: The death of filastruder...

I understand why you'd have to have the entire bed move for X, Y, and Z for this type of printer to work, but on top of the fact that greatly limits print area versus the size of the machine, I have an issue with the screw drive.

Using screws for all axis would make this thing print incredibly slow would it not? Those looked like they had actual threads and weren't a worm drive, so they would have to be spun at a very high RPM to move the platform at any rate of speed and I can't see how you could do that without causing far more issues than a simple pulley / belt system for the X and Y would get you. If spun at even a few hundred RPM on threaded rod if the plate moves anything like my printer hotend does when printing the friction generated heat would get you into issue's in a hurry since the "plate" would keep moving over the same section of the threaded rod constantly.

I'm sure as elmoret says you could close the nozzle to at least avoid ooze, but I don't see how this thing can even attempt to do a print in a single color without wasting "pellets" just blasting material out to a waste bucket (pillar on plate or whatever) at the start and end of every print. I just finished cranking out some blue and red filament on my Filastruder and put a considerable amount of filament onto my "garbage spool" that I still use to print from when I don't care about the items color. But that isn't a great method for general printing of items.

EDIT I was wrong, it is using a worm drive and its still looking very slow print wise smile

elmoret wrote:

That's been around for a long time. IIRC they get around the ooze/retraction issue by closing the nozzle.

not at all...

Retraction

We have conducted preliminary tests, and we can control the ooze/drool by running the system backwards, just as in a FFF system. Implementing this in the firmware has proven a bit more laborious than anticipated because we have been testing several different motor controllers and firmware variations, but we will have it implemented soon.

I was responding to the previous post (the machine by Arburg), not the David by Sculptify.

ho... sorry... need more sleep