Topic: Problems with PLA

Has anyone successfully printed in PLA running Repetier firmware? I just got some and I am experiencing some problems. When I unloaded my ABS, I loaded up the PLA and it came out just fine. I extruded about 300 mm just to be sure I got all of the ABS out so I could lower the temperature. It all came out smoothly, but when the head stopped extruding, and gave it some time, the extruder would click when I tried to extrude more. I measured the diameter of the filament, which had a pretty steady 1.75. It appears to only happen after the initial extrusion. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Problems with PLA

Just a follow up: When I loaded my ABS back in, the clicking had stopped. So I don't believe there is anything lodged in the teeth of the extruder.

heidkampn1 wrote:

Has anyone successfully printed in PLA running Repetier firmware? I just got some and I am experiencing some problems. When I unloaded my ABS, I loaded up the PLA and it came out just fine. I extruded about 300 mm just to be sure I got all of the ABS out so I could lower the temperature. It all came out smoothly, but when the head stopped extruding, and gave it some time, the extruder would click when I tried to extrude more. I measured the diameter of the filament, which had a pretty steady 1.75. It appears to only happen after the initial extrusion. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Maybe you set your extruder temperature too low and its having a hard time pushing it out?

I read up on that certain brands temp and you are right. I read online that PLA has a lower temp, but the brand I got actually has a reccomended temp of about the same as ABS. I'm at work right now, so I can't test it, but I'm almost certain that's the issue. Thanks for the input.

The temperature doesn't seem to be the issue either... Anyone find a solution for a similar situation?

I've never tried this, but there is a thread on Voltivo that describes the same problem pretty closely. Mostly the heat from the extruder starts to melt the PLA up by the feed and the teeth can no longer push it.

The solution they were using was to open the top door (have to block the switch if it's stock firmware) and then open the front door on the machine.

No idea if that works or not, but just thought I'd mention the thread I saw.

I don't know if that's it either.. When I was trying to figure it out last night, both doors were open so I could inspect it.. I even removed the extruder and there was no sign of PLA in between the teeth of the feeding gears.

heidkampn1 wrote:

I don't know if that's it either.. When I was trying to figure it out last night, both doors were open so I could inspect it.. I even removed the extruder and there was no sign of PLA in between the teeth of the feeding gears.

I think the issue isn't the PLA mucking up the drive gear, it's that it becomes too soft and "flattened" for the gears to get a grip on it. The Da Vinci was billed as an ABS now PLA later printer but I can't see how it can do PLA with the lack of a cooling fan for the print and an inadequate extruder fan.

I know.. I'm waitin for someone to make a printable upgrade for the cooling fan

I've been chasing this problem for weeks. I've even modified the aluminum block that the extruder threads into. I added cooling fins. I even machined a cooling fin to replace the nut. No luck. I can print for 50 min with Pla before the filament plugs off. I seriously doubt anyone can print a 6 hr print with this print head design. There is a reason this machine went to market as a Abs only machine.  This machine can't print pla I have yet to hear of anyone that can for any length of time

I've tried 3 brands of Pla all die at the same layer or within 3 layers.   I'm printing the same file. The problem is not filament. The problem is a heat transfer one in the actual print head. The solution is buy a different machine. Or wait till xyz offers a pla print head. It will be a different design.

PLA always has the same problem in all machines. if it heats up too far it forms a plug and will not feed. In other machines we use a heat barrier of some type to prevent the feed tube from heating, like a ptfe section. Then put a fan on the top tube to keep the filament cool. With an all metal head this is always going to be a problem. We need to make an adapter to fit a J-head onto the machine. Though there will need to be an electrical connection to use bed leveling.

If I recall correctly, xyzware had a dropdown box to switch from ABS to PLA.. I'm wondering if xyz is going to come out with their own lower quality pla to be able to extrude properly out of this extruder.. Or (hopefully) have an upgrade come out for a more advanced print head .. Probably unlikely tho