1 (edited by ErroneousBosch 2012-11-29 15:40:43)

Topic: Unable to connect to printer [Ubuntu]

Using Ubuntu 12.04, trying to connect for the first time and I get the following:

Connecting...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 14665, in <lambda>
    lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_controls.py", line 1850, in AppendText
    return _controls_.TextCtrl_AppendText(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
    return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xfc in position 1: invalid start byte
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 14665, in <lambda>
    lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_controls.py", line 1850, in AppendText
    return _controls_.TextCtrl_AppendText(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
    return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xdb in position 6185: invalid continuation byte

All the dependencies are installed. Just attempting to connect with Pronterface for the first time. using the latest 4.2 software from Solidoodle. Any ideas?

EDIT: After an email to Support (Shoutouts to Solidoodle for their super support smile ) It looks like it may have just been baud rate. I am only testing connection remotely from work, but it connected fine after updating the baud rate to 250000.

Re: Unable to connect to printer [Ubuntu]

Yes, one thing you need to do is change the baudrate to 250000. That stumped me for a few minutes when I first got my printer too tongue

ErroneousBosch wrote:

EDIT: After an email to Support (Shoutouts to Solidoodle for their super support smile

I'm going to make this my new signature here.. smile

OK, so now Pronterface connects and I can manual control the printer there, but Repetier connects and the commands just queue up, no actual movement. I configured it from Ian's blog post and triple checked the connection speed.

Ideas?

Sometimes Repetier gets a little hung up and I have to unplug and replug the USB before it will connect again.  If I disconnect USB while Repetier is running, I have to quit and restart the application before it will run the printer again.  If the right Com port and baud rate are selected, try quitting, shutting off, restarting the printer, etc and seeing if a fresh start will work.

Also sometimes when I plug the USB back in the drivers won't reload for some reason and the device remains unknown, and it takes a couple of tries before it gets recognized again.

Tried disconnecting, reconnecting, restarting the printer and the computer, no luck. Pronter face works fine. Repetier says it is connected and I can hear the motors whine a little but the commands just  queue up. The repetier log is blank

7 (edited by ErroneousBosch 2012-12-03 10:41:43)

OK, I think I may know what the problem is. Repetier Host on Linux isn't a native Linux version, it is the Windows version running in mono. The problem might be the port speed. Mono apparently does not like 250000. I ave no way to confirm this atm, but this seems like the most likely culprit.

Reference: https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Ho … stallation

Any other linux users out there have this problem?

8 (edited by ErroneousBosch 2012-12-03 11:41:39)

Update: After a frustrating evening, I got some sleep, then rebuilt the firmware this morning with 115200 and 230400 as baud rate options, then flashed the printer. No luck. same behavior.

Relevant link: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,1 … 96,quote=1

Success!!!

Adding 115200 as a port speed to the configuration.h will let repetier connect at that speed... but now pronterface will not connect. Oh well, given the choice of the two, I think repetier is nicer.Now to just sort out the issue with Slic3r in Repetier timing out (runs fine standalone).

10 (edited by TheOldMan 2012-12-07 05:53:46)

I only had a minor problem doing this.
Rebuild the firmware, with the baud rate set to 115200. Repetier/Linux works fine. Pronterface looks like it hangs, but if you flip over to the terminal window (I assume thats how you are running it?) and hit enter a few times, it connects.
Now that the firmware has a different baud rate, I had to reset them on the windows machine. Still, once I did that there were no problems.

--Edit--
You did change the baud rate in pronterface, right?

I did. I am not too worried, since Repetier is a better interface and Pronterface is my backup. I haven't had a chance to try it much since the weekend.

I'm having this exact problem right now. 

So I suppose just to double check, I have to edit the firmware of the Solidoodle to change the baudrate?  If I do that will I have any other problems with the printer?

Also how do I go about doing that? I've edited the firmware once, by following Ian's guide, and changed a value to give myself a better feed rate, but that's all I've done with Arduino.

Where would I go to change this? And once I get there will it be pretty self explanatory?

13 (edited by ErroneousBosch 2012-12-19 11:31:43)

As far as I have seen in testing since making the change, there are no problems caused by this change as long as you always remember to use 115200 as your port speed.

I actually created a complete walkthrough for the soliwiki: http://www.soliwiki.com/Linux

Also tripple check if modem manager is NOT running. This little bastard tries each and every serial port to poke with AT commands and see if it's a 3g modem and leaves them configured at 115200. What's worse - it can do that while printing. 

ps aux|grep modem
will show you if it's running. From what I remember it's installed by default in ubuntu (I use Arch).