Topic: Melt filter question

So I finally got around to trying to get my melt filter installed.

Probably a stupid question, but:
It came with 2 mesh discs, and 2 snap-rings.

should I be using one, or both of these mesh discs?

Re: Melt filter question

One mesh disc. The second disc and second ring are backups in case one gets lost or damaged.

*I decided it would be best to ask my melt filter question in this thread so that maybe they all stay together rather than start a new topic. Sorry for the thread hijack.*

Hi,

My Filastruder kit shipped yesterday. I will only be making 1.75 mm filament. Most likely only creating ABS filament.  My question is simply this... Do I need to get the melt filter?

I won't be doing it to start with, but I may in the future try my luck with some regrind if that matters to the question. I plan to only do "small" batches at a time, buying whatever plastic I can get that will work for filament. Perhaps a better question would be is there any downside to using the melt filter?

Last question that I don't really expect an answer to, but since I know little about plastic maybe there is some method I'm not aware of to find out. Due to the price per pound, I bought some pellets off of Ebay that are claimed by the seller to be Lustran injection molding grade, but the specific number wasn't available (I can dream it's Lustran 288, but I doubt it will be). Is there a way to test say inches per minute from the Filastruder versus the MG 94 to calculate the flow rate of an unknown ABS?

If you're using a nozzle on your printer smaller than 0.6mm, you should use a melt filter nozzle on your Filastruder.

Are you looking to calculate the MFI of a plastic based on how the Filastruder extrudes it? You could probably estimate it within 30% or so.

Thanks for the reply. In my case, my nozzle is 0.4mm and within 30% would be more than close enough. I would only need it for making sure I wasn't pushing the speed too much on the printers end.

Guess I'll be ordering a melt filter then.