Topic: MK2 PCB Heater Firmware settings

I just replaced my dead QU-BD heater with a MK2 PCB heater.  The heater didn't include a thermistor, so I found and reused the original SD3 thermistor.  In the firmware I changed the thermistor to type 6 (which is what the original firmware had), instead of 80 (QU-BD).

Now the problem:  I don't have a IR thermometer handy, but I can tell the reported temps are NOT accurate.  The bed feels hotter at 60°C than what the old bed reported at 95°C.  I even lowered it to 45° and did a 3 hour long print and no problems, it held on to the print perfectly.

Doing a PID doesn't make sense, since I don't know what the actual temperature is.  So for the moment I'm using it at 50°C max.  But I'm wondering if there's something I did wrong when I mounted the thermistor.

The setup is:  The PCB is installed on top of the copper platform with VHB tape, which give about 1mm worth of clearance between the platform and the PCB.  The platform has a hole drilled in the middle through which the thermistor pokes through and it goes into the hole of the PCB.  Then there's a sheet of glass on top.  ID did not epoxy or otherwise permanently attach the thermistor to the PCB heater, it's only sitting there in the hole, so I wonder if that is the reason why I see the temperatures I see.

I'm thinking about using some thermal compound (like for CPUs), to pack in the PCB hole around the Thermistor.  Any thoughts on that?

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=5580

Post's attachments

MK2 PCB Heater 001.jpg
MK2 PCB Heater 001.jpg 175.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

2 (edited by pirvan 2014-06-17 18:22:07)

Re: MK2 PCB Heater Firmware settings

I got an IR thermometer from work, and measured the temperature in various places across the print surface.  I also put some flat black stick-on dots on those areas so the glass reflection doesn't affect the readings (as much).

I left the bed heat up for a about 10 minutes  at what the thermistor reads as 65°C, then measured the center, the corners and a couple of spots around the middle.

Center        =  88°
Rear left     =  79°
Rear Right  =  82°
Front left    =  81°
Front Right =  84°
Other         =  85°-89°

So the thermistor readings seem to be off by about 20°C.

FWIW, the PCB bed heats up to temp in about 5 minutes, which is pretty nice.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.