Topic: extruder mount broken - part file needed

All,

I recently recieved my solidoodle. The mount that connects to the linear bearing just underneath the extruder is soft and wobbly.  I 'm pretty sure I can bailing wire it in place long enough to print another one.  Does anyone have the file for that part?

Is there an improved version that anyone is aware of?

2 (edited by patmail4 2012-11-28 18:42:32)

Re: extruder mount broken - part file needed

there is no stl for broken parts
also take note that u can't replace it easly since rods are glued to supports
And there is no linear bearings in solidoodle, only shafts

put some acetone on the cracked surfaces and clamp them together, should be good as new.   Post a picture of it and we'll give you better suggestions

4 (edited by ErroneousBosch 2012-11-28 20:20:08)

Would this be what you might need?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33152

I attempted to fix it, but there just isn't much left to work with.  I think the issue is the result of several of the nuts being missing.  The result was holes stretching out.  I was watching a video online and noticed that other people had nuts holding the extruder to the bushing assembly.    My printer is less than a week old, but already I've found a couple of set screws floating around the bottom.  In addition to several missing nuts  I didn't find as many set screws as it would take to fill every retaining collar.  Is there any chance that some of those aren't necessary, therefore not included?

Also, it appears this part melted and is halfway stuck to the bottom of the motor.  Is there any reason why it would be gummy at room temperature?

It seems like the sliders are 8mm.  I do happen to have a 8mm pillow block style linear bearing.  Is there a better option than completely rebuilding the bearing assembly?

Is there someplace to look to find out more about the glued in slide rods? I haven't been able to find any complete conversation pointing to advantages of going to bearing sliders, but I assume there should be some benefit.

Post's attachments

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG 1.6 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-29 

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG 1.37 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-29 

IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG 1.37 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-11-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

6 (edited by heychris 2012-11-29 03:21:50)

I cleaned off most of the melted gummy material from the slider assembly.  It does seem if the bushing are just fine.  I have a piece of aluminum angle stock that could replace the part immediately underneath the stepper motor.

I read a post that mentioned the initial G-code for causing the fan not to turn on.  I've never seen the fan on the extruder's stepper motor turn on.   What is normal operation for that fan?

Post's attachments

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG 2.42 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The fan should be on as long as there is power to the printer.  If it never ran, then it looks like that allowed the stepper to get hit enough to melt the plastic.  See if it is plugged in.  It the small connector on the left side with an F on it.  It could have simply been pulled off, or there could be a problem with the connector.   

Either way, you should ask Solidoodle for a replacement since the failure of the X carriage was due to a fan that was DOA.

The fan is indeed plugged in.   If I plug in the printer without any usb connection, the fan quickly becomes too hot too touch.  It must have a short circuit.

I realize the solidoodle folks are quite busy with an incredible backlog of orders.  I've sent a couple of messages.  Is their a best way to get support?

9 (edited by HelmutK 2012-12-01 01:50:09)

I recently contacted Solidoodle Support for a replacement extruder fan (which I accidentally de-vaned  wink ) and they responded to my email within 1 business day. For a reasonable cost they then had a replacement pre-wired fan/heat sink assembly shipped to me in a week.
By the way...I added one of those fine mesh 40mm fan covers to the fan so I do not destroy the fan when loading filament again.

hmm.  That's odd.  I'm 3 emails in 6 days without response.  I'm starting to wonder what is necessary to get some attention.

What email address did you use?

They're flaky sort of. Sometimes I get superb response, sometimes not. Try emailing again if they don't respond in 48hrs from the initial send.

I used this email to contact a Solidoodle Support Tech... [email protected]