Topic: Bed Glass Cracked :(

Hey guys, im so glad I found this forum.

I was doing a 16 hour print. When I checked on the machine, this is what I saw...
The bed glass cracked.

I contacted xyz a couple of days ago and have not gotten any response.

Not cool...

Post's attachments

IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG 1.44 mb, 2 downloads since 2014-05-28 

IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG 1.93 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-05-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Bed Glass Cracked :(

The quick fix is probably just to measure the glass and head to your local home improvement store and have them cut a piece to size and replace. I would still contact support.

I contacted them because mine chipped and had a couple of emails back and forth from them.  I'm under the impression that they are shipping me a replacement.

morethan1 - from the crack pattern, it looks like the object was lifted while still being strongly adhered to the glass.
What did you use on the glass? Glue stick or something else? Did you use a very thin layer?

Did you wait for the bed to cool completely?

When I got my previous printer, I'd try pry off the object before cooling down, and some of them would just not let go.
But I quickly learned that patience pays off. Just wait a couple more minutes, and you should hear the satisfying pop as the object dislocates itself.

Also, you can try a mirror. I've used mirrors from IKEA before, and they work fine. (Unless you're printer below mm layer height)

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough

A mirror is simply a piece of glass with a silver backing.  No reason to use a mirror over glass or vice versa.

Absolutely no reason to use mirrors over glass.

The reason I used the Ikea mirrors was that they were the perfect size for the bed I was using.
I'm not too handy with a glass cutter smile

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I wasn't getting notified that someone was leaving comments.

I contacted xyz and they asked for printer serial and p/o #. It's been a week and nothing has happened. I had enough of waiting so I contacted amazon today and ended up getting a full refund (whenever they receive my printer).

The glass was cracked before I removed the part. I do not think they use heat treated glass. Looking for other printers now. All under the 1000$ range seem to have crappy software.

8 (edited by Tomek 2014-06-03 15:41:05)

morethan1 wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I wasn't getting notified that someone was leaving comments.

I contacted xyz and they asked for printer serial and p/o #. It's been a week and nothing has happened. I had enough of waiting so I contacted amazon today and ended up getting a full refund (whenever they receive my printer).

The glass was cracked before I removed the part. I do not think they use heat treated glass. Looking for other printers now. All under the 1000$ range seem to have crappy software.

Actually, the stuff under $1000 range tends to use repetier and slic3r, which are vastly superior to the software in the $1-5000 dollar range. The other stuff tends to be closed source and limited in options. Under $1000 requires some machine operation knowledge, but it is very powerful software.

Sucks that your glass bed cracked, I'm sorry to hear that. Kind of looks like propagation from the edge maybe? Maybe there was a micro crack/scratch there that was spread from the heat strain. The use of high temp glass is not really important for 3D printers, from room temp to the 90-110C used in printing is not a crazy temp fluctuation for standard glass.  I had been using 2mm (quite thin) regular glass for well over a year before it cracked- and that was my doing. I also would throw the glass into the freezer fresh off the heat bed, to cool it faster.

I had a similar problem printing a huge model.
I discovered that the problem is the temperature control of the bed ... in my case...
See my post.