1 (edited by joshj 2014-05-25 01:51:21)

Topic: very easy repetier firmware uploaded with xyzware

This is a very easy firmware upgrade for the da vinci. Just use xyzware. no special drivers needed for the initial testing.

That said if you want to go back to stock firmware of do some other non-compiled version other drivers and arduino IDE will have to be installed.

Re: very easy repetier firmware uploaded with xyzware

Hi and thanks for the helpful video! I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to updating the firmware at this time? I am new to 3d printers but would love to have the additional functionality. Should I wait?

I've been trying to follow your posts on this firmware upgrade, but I have a few questions. Do you still print to with XYZ, or do you use another app? What are the benefits to changing to this firmware? Are there any downfalls or things to be aware of at this point?

Hi guys,
Thanks for the support first of all. Helps when others find what I am doing helpfull and they express it.
This is still beta, Maybee even alpha.

I am using retetier host for printing, others are using pronterface.

The down fall is the bed leveling is a work in progress, Dont have the tip wipe and clean set-up yet after home and before a print.

The benefits are very easy on the fly temp and speed changes, autobed leveling so it will make up for an out of level bed.
It is not xyzware. There is no need for any chip resetting or any such non sense.

My prints are not perfect but are already much more solid and beter bonding. bottom layer is actually solid and top layers actually fill. It can actually print very fast really.

Another downside is it is one more set of steps to learn, and we will change stuff as we go on. Changing the firmware to a newer one will not be as easy, but it is still not hard at all, just a couple extra steps.

I'm still not ready to make the switch yet.  Are there any bugs left to iron out?

I am still watching your posts.  I'll make the jump eventually.  I just don't have time yet to dedicate to learning the newer software.

Thanks for the info joshj. I will continue to follow your posts/videos until I am ready to make the leap.

What are some of the features that this firmware has that the stock firmware does not?

Saw this on a Voltivo forum thread.

Complete flexibility:
1) any filament, any amount, any time, with no cartridge resets or even a need for a cartridge to be in the machine.
2) Access 100% of the slicer options instead of what XYZ says is ok for you to know about.
3) True printing from SD card. Upload whatever files you want and keep them on the SD. Just select from a menu and click print. Not limited to XYZ 3 samples.
4) Live feedback and live monitoring through Repetier Host.
5) TRUE bed leveling, not the confusing tell you what to adjust pretend auto leveling of XYZ.
6) Actual useful information on the LCD
7) Ability to easily control print speed.
8) restart a print that ran out of filament (Just change filament and click the play button.)
9) Ability to swap filament colors mid print.
10) Because we can. wink

Should I keep going? smile

Kieth

Haha no that's plenty x) just wondering if I am still able to slice with xyzware (i know it's not ideal, but I like the simplicity.. Also wondering if I can heat the platform without having to print anything ( for an acetone vapor bath ) please let me know tongue just opened my da vinci and am printing the demo now ... So much better than the cube I have -.-

well, xyzware is slic3r "under the hood". you could copy the config files from the xyzware settings to your slic3r.
You could use the version of xyzware that comes in the box and use the online decoder or notepad++ to do the base 64 decode, Just use the export button instead of the print button. All the major print interfaces include bed heating options. Now considering the amount of plastin in the da vinci, I would use a cheap walmart hot plate for the vapor bathing.

These are my first prints, I didn't even do the demo.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zypUYW4bko4/U0jfXnonZ5I/AAAAAAAAEpI/mQuO7AigRmg/w740-h553-no/IMG_0637.JPG

there is noticeable infill issues and such. but it worked and I was surprised by the machine out of the box.

Josh, I sent you a PM.

I'd saw in the other thread regarding setting the center of the printbed, but I have not seen any more information on this.  The center of the printbed IS adjustable now, correct?

Additionally, while looking through REpetier host, am I to assume under manual control that's a direct printer control?  I'll be able to use it to move the head around with the arrows?

AND, one more.  With Repetier, is it possible to print one part with one color, stop in the middle, and then change colors, and continue?  If so, how does one trigger a "change filament" command?

Figured out that issue, in the EEPROM settings in the repetier host you have to set the x and y offset to around -25 to -30.. Definitely helped but still not in the direct center. I have to play around with it but give it a shot and adjust the numbers accordingly. Basically the "home" of the extrude is at 0,0. So if you subtract those coordinates to where the extruded actually is in the EEPROM settings, it starts the print from the correct home.

My theory on the dual color is to start a print, cut the existing filament , and as it goes through the top of the extruded, switch it out with the new color.. I have always wanted to try this. Only problem is that it won't be so accurate and you might get a jump where the filament is being laid

If it were CNC code, I'd identify the step height and manually code a stepover and a M01 for optional stop, then trigger a filament change OR just seperate the 2 programs.

The problem with seperating the program is that I do NOT want the bed temperature to turn off while doing so because I don't want the print to pop loose from the table.

Cutting the filament and feeding in more will not work 90% of the time.

The problem is that there is still some space between the extruder gear and the hotend. When the new filament passes the gear, the pressure will make it bend and slip off the old filament, and then your hotend will have filament stuck in it.

If this does happen, just remove the print head, set the printer to load new filament, and very carefully, push in something thin, like a 1.5mm allen key to push the old filament half way down into the extruder.

Remount the print head, set the printer to load filament again, and push in the new stuff.

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough