Re: Simple guide to getting Slic3r to work with the DaVinci

for what it's worth. and the main reason I use repetier, is there are just some parts slicer chokes on that cura and other slicers do without issues. Cura also has in my opinion much much better support support.

Sorry for the absence guys. I have alot of irons in the fire and I hope some big news for this forum within a week or so.

27 (edited by peitzgreene 2014-06-25 09:33:05)

W34 Got a quick question for you here. So got the exe replaced and everything worked fine. Gcode would upload and it would start heating. Would get up to the proper temperature, then move to about the center about 1-2in above the bed, then would heat up again. After all of that would start printing, but 1-2in to high. In XYZware it looks fine.

I have no idea why it is doing this, any ideas?

I have tried Cura and Slic3r

Cura does what I listed

But Slic3r will not start printing, but it will move to the center and start heating and then stay there and keep heating.

Thanks

Great work by the way.

I also have a Z-offset issue. But I calibrated my heat bed right between my last XYZware print and my first Slic3r print. So I don't know if the calibration caused the +- 2mm Z-offset or if something in the Slic3r gcode moved my Z-offset or if my Da Vinci z-axis home sensor is faulty.

Anyone know how to fix or reset my Z-offset on a Da Vinci machine?

peitzgreene wrote:

W34 Got a quick question for you here. So got the exe replaced and everything worked fine. Gcode would upload and it would start heating. Would get up to the proper temperature, then move to about the center about 1-2in above the bed, then would heat up again. After all of that would start printing, but 1-2in to high. In XYZware it looks fine.

Cura does what I listed

But Slic3r will not start printing, but it will move to the center and start heating and then stay there and keep heating.

Thanks

Great work by the way.

If it is above the print bed to far you can set the z-offset in slic3r to a negative number to compensate for the height difference or try recalibrating and shoot for z-offset of 230-250 on the machine. You can also do the paper method of leveling the bed.

As for the file not starting for slic3r, it may be take a bit depending on your settings in slic3r. For instance if the heat and bed temperatures is set to 210/80 and slic3r is set to 230/100, it will heat for the cartridge temp first, then begin executing the gcode and wait for temp to reach the 230/100 set in the gcode, then it will print. If it does nothing after the 2nd heating to reach your target temps, then something is wrong in the gcode. Check to make sure all start code is removed in the slic3r settings. If that still doesn't work, upload the gcode so I can take a look. smile

Petra wrote:

I also have a Z-offset issue. But I calibrated my heat bed right between my last XYZware print and my first Slic3r print. So I don't know if the calibration caused the +- 2mm Z-offset or if something in the Slic3r gcode moved my Z-offset or if my Da Vinci z-axis home sensor is faulty.
Anyone know how to fix or reset my Z-offset on a Da Vinci machine?

See above smile

30 (edited by peitzgreene 2014-06-25 15:45:09)

w34 wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:

Cura does what I listed

Thanks

Great work by the way.

If it is above the print bed to far you can set the z-offset in slic3r to a negative number to compensate for the height difference or try recalibrating and shoot for z-offset of 230-250 on the machine. You can also do the paper method of leveling the bed.

As for the file not starting for slic3r, it may be take a bit depending on your settings in slic3r. For instance if the heat and bed temperatures is set to 210/80 and slic3r is set to 230/100, it will heat for the cartridge temp first, then begin executing the gcode and wait for temp to reach the 230/100 set in the gcode, then it will print. If it does nothing after the 2nd heating to reach your target temps, then something is wrong in the gcode. Check to make sure all start code is removed in the slic3r settings. If that still doesn't work, upload the gcode so I can take a look. smile

Humm, I can not find the Z offset in Cura. Also 230-250 is the z-offset I have on the machine. And how would one go about doing the paper method on the stock firmware? Here is a gcode that I sliced up with Cura (I really like using Cura other then Slic3r)
Thanks.

Post's attachments

Jeep_Grill.gcode 1.24 mb, 9 downloads since 2014-06-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

31 (edited by w34 2014-06-26 10:23:08)

peitzgreene wrote:
w34 wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:

Cura does what I listed

Thanks

Great work by the way.

Humm, I can not find the Z offset in Cura. Also 230-250 is the z-offset I have on the machine. And how would one go about doing the paper method on the stock firmware? Here is a gcode that I sliced up with Cura (I really like using Cura other then Slic3r)
Thanks.

In cura, select plugins->tweak at z->then set the z offset to something like -0.2 or however much it may be off by.

For the paper method I turn off the print, put a piece of standard printer paper on the heat bed and move the print head over the corners of the bed. Adjust to where all four starts to barely grip the paper, but you can still move the paper.

I will check out the gcode and see if I can replicate the issue.

Edit: tried the tweak at Z and it looks like it does something different. You will have to manually add it to the start code e.g.
G1 Z0.2
G92 Z0

Edit: Try this file.

Post's attachments

Jeep_Grill.gcode 1.28 mb, 6 downloads since 2014-06-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

w34 wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:
w34 wrote:

Thanks.

In cura, select plugins->tweak at z->then set the z offset to something like -0.2 or however much it may be off by.

For the paper method I turn off the print, put a piece of standard printer paper on the heat bed and move the print head over the corners of the bed. Adjust to where all four starts to barely grip the paper, but you can still move the paper.

I will check out the gcode and see if I can replicate the issue.

Edit: tried the tweak at Z and it looks like it does something different. You will have to manually add it to the start code e.g.
G1 Z0.2
G92 Z0

Edit: Try this file.

K I think I figured it out, plugged into notepad++ and changed all g0 to g1, thought that the software version you made already did that. Working now, thanks for the help

This new version adds support for Cura files. It will automatically replace G0 with G1 on import.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j8fz6 … .42.v2.rar

w34 wrote:

This new version adds support for Cura files. It will automatically replace G0 with G1 on import.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j8fz6 … .42.v2.rar

Thanks I think I may already have this version, let me test it when i get home and i will not replace G0

Wow w34, thanks so much for all the help! You are becoming the Da Vinci Zorro here...

mwm wrote:

It's simple enough to script. I've got an OS-X binary that does the conversion automatically (attached), though I've only tested it on 64-bit 10.9. I expect to have a web service that will include a base64 encode option sometime in the next week, so this is still pretty crude.

You need to have your a slic3r config similar to the one from Jason at github.com/jasongao/DaVinci1.0/. Export the gcode from slic3r. Then run xyzify from the command line. It reads the slic3r gcode file from standard input, and writes the result to standard output. It's not base64 encoded, but the mac version of XYZWare doesn't care (which is why no windows binary).  You can then import the resulting gcode file in XYZWare and print from it.

MWN. Not sure how to run it from the command line, Im a noob! can you run me thru the commands as a example? Thanks!