Topic: Organising (system?) for your 3d files? Any ideas?

Im printing a whole lot of stuff :-) Anyone can share some ideas about how to keep track of all the printed parts? Here are some problems I run into :

-Sometimes I want to print a part again and cant find it in the 200+ stl skp netfabb files or i just deleted it
-Often I have to wait for a non printed part to arrive by the mail to finish building something and it gets lost

Some things I tried:

-Dymo labelwriter sticker with the thingiverse thing number (stickers fall off and i also design half of the stuff myself)
-Ziplocks works ok

Does anyone use the camera trigger (at the bottom of the configuration.h file) to take a picture of every file they printed?

// M240  Triggers a camera by emulating a Canon RC-1 Remote
// Data from: http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/rc-1_hacked/
// #define PHOTOGRAPH_PIN     23

Thanks

Re: Organising (system?) for your 3d files? Any ideas?

Gcode files are small enough that I never bother to delete them.  If I remember approximately when I printed something I can scroll down to that date and find it.  For projects in progress sometimes I'll keep a box, and all the bits related to that project go in the box.  That way they don't get scattered if I have to clear the bench to do something else.

Sharpie is your friend.  I usually write the filename on the part (if it's big enough) and then file the parts to a project in a baggie (ziploc works, but can get expensive so I generally use non-zip bags with wire tie-wraps).  Simply write the project name on the bag.

IanJohnson wrote:

Gcode files are small enough that I never bother to delete them.

cckens wrote:

Sharpie is your friend.  I usually write the filename on the part

Good ideas ... thanks

I have enough projects on the go that I've always toyed with setting up a part numbering system. Does anyone else do this, or does it look a bit OCD / extreme??

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

I've always said use your OCD to your advantage when ever you can wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

This may sound pretty basic, but I just keep a Documents folder with a directory tree of each project (i.e. CAD/Repair Parts/Volvo Cup Holder/).  Within the folder is the relevant CAD and .STL file(s).  I never keep anything else and just re-slice if I need to.

I have hundreds of folders and rarely have a problem finding anything.

As far as actual printed parts; if they are used for prototypes they are usually printed and sent out.  If the project is a longer term development I keep boxes shelved and labeled with a sharpie with the project name and containing the relevant printed items / iterations.  For repairs around the house...they just get used!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!