Topic: Da vinci load filament check

when you use the load filament on the printer it heats up then checks to see if the filament is inserted before continuing. I tried to use a clear filament in it and it doesn't recognize filament being placed in it. i took the thing apart and i cannot find the sensor that detects. where is it located and is there a way i can permanently trick it to thinking that filament is in?

Re: Da vinci load filament check

I have had a similar problem when trying to load PLA filament.  somehow the print head can sense the filament type (suspect it is optically). the PLA is more translucent than ABS and I'm wondering if it has an optical sensor in the head... would explain the similar problem with clear material.

i will try to further take it apart and see if theres something hidden im missing. maybe theres a way to bypass the filament check when printing or loading the filament in

4 (edited by Leghk 2014-05-11 05:45:25)

I seem to remember reading that there was a sensor in the filament guide, mine's busy printing right now so I can't check for wiring. Try running your PLA without feeding it through there, and stick some ABS through the guide to fool it maybe?

Edit: Print finished, no sign of wiring up to that guide, so I clearly mis-remembered whatever I'd read.

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

I'd bet the black guide is an optical assembly:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/Ovrclck350/462F1428-51C0-4698-B4D2-E6D4191829A2_zpswblv1hhb.jpg

yeah thats what i was thinking i put a piece of masking tape around  the black peice before placing it back in and it did trick the machine. so its definately there. puttting some paint on the inside would probably work better.

Thanks for your efforts!  Suspicions confirmed!

8 (edited by ysb 2014-05-13 17:23:34)

http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci/15-fil … m-decoding

info..

This is from reversing both the FW and the Windows app.
00:xyzCode - 'Z'
01:material - 'A' for ABS
02-04:color
05-07:mdate - manufacture date ??
08-0b:total len
0c-0f:total len now, used to be remaining len in older fw
10-11:temp head
12-13:temp bed
14-15:mloc - manufacture location ??
16-17:dloc - distribution location ??
18-23:sn - serial number, zero padded for now
24-25: check digit - 0x0034 in LE format is the only one i've seen so far

Also it looks like since fw 1.1.I the printer remembers cartridges serial numbers and the corresponding smallest filament lengths. So every time you reset the filament counter you need to tweak the serial number as well, otherwise the printer will limit the filament output so your prints will break apart.

I tried to load translucent filament with a white filament cartridge loaded and it would not do it.   Found this forum post which helped.  Thank you!

I got the materials to make a reset device but since da vinci does not have translucent filament does not seem to be an option if its checking for the color.

Anyone have any luck printing with translucent and making it work?

10 (edited by ysb 2014-05-14 11:42:33)

Rescueweasel wrote:

I tried to load translucent filament with a white filament cartridge loaded and it would not do it.   Found this forum post which helped.  Thank you!

I got the materials to make a reset device but since da vinci does not have translucent filament does not seem to be an option if its checking for the color.

Anyone have any luck printing with translucent and making it work?

the problem is just the 'transparancy' not the color , the system just check if there is some filament. it didn't see your translucent filament as the light of the optical sensor pass thru it... i bet that if you put a black strip in front of the optical sensor, your filament will be ok.. end of story.. my 2 cents

11 (edited by Pilatus12 2014-05-14 14:30:38)

I used a piece of zip tie inserted beside the filament path. (I bent a 90 in the zip tie) then used electrical tape to keep it in place. see photos.

Post's attachments

DSC_1504.JPG 1.92 mb, 2 downloads since 2014-05-14 

DSC_1505.JPG
DSC_1505.JPG 1.51 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-05-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I took care of this and created a tutorial with step by step instructions and photos.  Worked great  the forum will not allow me to post links in my messages but if you click on the link in my signature it will take you to the page.

Wondering if this is just an xyz firmware issue. I'm running repetier, but I don't want to buy translucent filament if it won't work. Any incite guys?

Did you even read the posts above?  There's an optical sensor.  You can fool it.

if your running repetier the optic filament checker is not even looked at.

I think the sensor could be used as a protective measure.

Lets say you have a 28 hour print going. And half way through, the filament snaps.

Once that last bit of filament feeds through the nozzle, there is no more coming through. that means the nozzle will keep being heated for 14 hours with nothing inside it. This will carbonize the traces of abs inside, and is very messy to clean up.

Couldnt something be implemented like this:

- Optical sensor detects filament has finished.
- Continues print untill filament is pulled half way into the hotend. (This to give room for the new filament to be fed in)
- Pauses print, raises extruder 20mm.
- Sets hotend temp to 0
- Sounds buzzer.
- New filament is fed in
- Sets hotend temp to 220
- It extrudes 30mm of filament (which you have to manually clean away)
- Extruder drops 20mm, and resumes printing.

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough

That is totally feasible. I don't have the time, or know-how, or time to acquire the know-how to do so though.

I think tha'ts probably a bit much to ask trying to write firmware for.  BUT, I wonder with the XYZware firmware what happens in the middle of a print when it no longer "sees" filament.....or if it's only even looked at during the loading procedure.

19 (edited by tryersol 2014-06-13 21:37:20)

I think the parts in green can be done directly via gcode only, and can be standardised/hardwired:

- Optical sensor detects filament has finished.
- Continues print untill filament is pulled half way into the hotend. (This to give room for the new filament to be fed in)
- Pauses print, raises extruder 20mm.
- Sets hotend temp to 0

- Sounds buzzer.
- New filament is fed in
- Sets hotend temp to 220
- It extrudes 30mm of filament (which you have to manually clean away)
- Extruder drops 20mm, and resumes printing.

But yes, the crucial part would be the detection, which would cause the gcode to run.

About the DaVinci using the sensor during a print, when I was on firmware A, I tested it, by snipping the filament off during a print. It just kept on printing after the filament ran through. I havent tested it on current firmwares, though

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough