Topic: Barrel stabilazation

Hey struder commanders,

I just got my machine two weeks ago and its running as its supposed to.

Since one probably cannot prevent the barrel from moving a bit and with regards to the note about having to stabilize the barrel when upgrade to the stronger motor, I was wondering if its a good idea to restrict the barrel.
A friend suggested leaving it unsupported to avoid wedging the auger in and leaving a little play.

Imho I would just put a block of wood under the barrel behind the isolation and secure it with some metalband/wire.

Has someone done something similar?

Cheers

Re: Barrel stabilazation

It is unconstrained by design. I would recommend leaving it unconstrained, though you are welcome to do anything you like! smile

Sungod,

I've got my system constrained.  While I am happy with my system, I would strongly recommend against doing it the way you are talking about.  When you constrain it you take away all the flex and give in the system.  This makes it especially important for everything to be aligned properly and held in an aligned position regardless of the load on the auger.

For me I made a stiff frame that couples the barrel and motor together.  The thrust system had to be completely redesigned to make  it so when the auger slides back (thrust) a special thrust bearing goes into a recessed plate thats also hard coupled to the motor and auger.  This recess keeps the auger from being able to move and holds it constrained. 

The downside is that everything has to be straight.... the upside.... I can't tell any difference in how it runs other than it seems to make less strange noises.  I only went to this system because it was easier for me to work with metal and make it this way than to rebuild it like it was stock after I screwed up

Jason,

Do you mean like this? That's not constraining the barrel.

http://i.imgur.com/vyEemxC.jpg

Looks like I have to give this some more thought, but assuming I accept a bit of misalignment be it from auger itself or from some not parallelness, would the amount of play be the same when I switch to the stronger motor? And therefore the risk of the barrel twisting the same?

The tip of the barrel moving up/down/left/right slightly is due to the auger not being perfectly straight and the alignment of the motor and barrel. The motor having more torque available doesn't impact that.

The reason barrel twist is more of a problem with the beta motor is when things go wrong - like not heating the system up before turning on the motor. With the standard motor, usually this won't twist the barrel. The beta motor will happily twist the barrel. I've used a beta motor over 500 hours - but it is important to be sure not to do anything wrong - its just less forgiving.

If you're worried about it, you can run the beta motor with a fuse, or at a lower voltage.

Ah that makes sense, ill keep that in mind.

8 (edited by Sungod3000 2014-05-07 09:15:41)

How much tolerance would you allow in the fuse (speaking for the stock configuration)?

Tolerance? Not sure what you mean by this, as it isn't a typical specification of fuses - at least not one you have much say in besides slow-blow or fast blow.

Measure current draw in steady state with the polymer you want to use and temperature. Pick a fuse 1.5x-2x that.

Yes that fast/slow blow I meant. Thanks