1 (edited by jul654321 2012-11-25 22:44:40)

Topic: Did anyone else get into power supply trouble ?

My SD shut itself down mid print, it was still connected, but no LED lights, and no movement/extrusion.

I checked the power supply, it was a bit warm, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I have an old computer power supply, so I will try it to see if something is wrong with the SD or the PSU.

EDIT: so, it's not the PSU, its the solidoodle that is shorted.
Any suggestion on where to start checking ?

Re: Did anyone else get into power supply trouble ?

Check the terminal block where the power connects.  One of the wires came loose on mine, and the resistance built up enough heat to melt it.

Nothing seems melted on mine.

I just took the board off the case to inspect, and I cant see anything out of the ordinary.

Should I see 0 resistance between the 2 screws ? Or am I right in thinking that means the board has a short somewhere ?

Disconnected hot-end power and try running it. I had hot-end shortened out on my SD and it manifested like that. If that's the case when you disconnected hot-end power on the head it should power up and work. You'll need new hot-end, however.

I disconnected everything when I took the board off the case. Still shorts.

I'll wait for the support at solidoodle to give me a hand smile

Hi!

Did Solidoodle fix your problem?

They said it`s my power supply. They where supposed to send my one tree weeks ago... but the first shipment I received was only a power cord! Now I am waiting go the actual power supply... I should receive it tomorrow...

I had a very weird problem last night when printing.

i'd been printing for about 10 hours. with the printer plugged into a laptop.

the printer randomly shut down, there was also a strange behaviour in that the printer would appear to come on then go off immediately, then seem to come on, then go off, so the lights were flashing!

Had a look at the board on the back and the 7805 regulator on the board was roasting hot. (burned me to touch it) I wet my finger and touched it and it sizzled.

I removed the 7805 regulator from the board and the printer has been working fine ever since.

I've looked at the rep-rap pages, this is actually a known issue, when the printer is connected to a PC so 5v is sourced by the USB supply, and the 7805 is also installed, differences in the supply voltages can cause the 7805 to run hot/overheat/shutdown and break.

I have no idea if using the panelolu exacerbated the problem as the 5v supply would be more loaded.
the solution to this will certainly involve a new regulator for my machine and as a proper fix a switch for selecting between USB power and machine power for the 5v (or a dedicated USB lead when I've cut the power lines leaving on the data lines intact)

so not supply trouble but certainly board based power issues.

I've look at the PCB schematic, it seems to be a design issue with the Sanguinololu board. The 7805 and USB power input should be diode isolated from each other.  Power from the USB and the 7805 should each run through a diode before they tie into the 5 volt bus. If it had this, you should not see a problem with the 7805 overheating. Guess I need to mod my board before I have a problem as well.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I'm a little confused.

Are you talking about the stock Solidoodle board?

How could removing a regulator help?  Are you saying that the regulator is "optional" or "unnecessary"?  How would the voltage going into the regulator make it out of the regulator if the regulator were removed?

jon_bondy wrote:

I'm a little confused.

Are you talking about the stock Solidoodle board?

How could removing a regulator help?  Are you saying that the regulator is "optional" or "unnecessary"?  How would the voltage going into the regulator make it out of the regulator if the regulator were removed?

The 7805 feeds power to the +5v rail. So does the USB port. If the USB port is supplying +5.1v, power backfeeds through the 7805 and heats it up. It's a poor design, they should be diode or jumper isolated.

The power connector is a POS to speak kindly. 80)  I have been looking to replace for awhile.  I am going to do a full rewire job very soon.

Ina recommend one from Amazon. I bought but have not put it on yet. When I get home I will post the link if it has not been found yet.

Slicer - Simplify3D

Here is the link to the power supply. 12v 30 amps.
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulat … B009EIANT2

Slicer - Simplify3D

Hi!

I finally receive the new power supply and it work! So the problem (in my case) was the power supply.

Hope this can help you