Topic: Filastruder running very slow.

Thanks for all the help so far. I finished my Filastruder the other day and when I started my first batch it took 8 hours to get half a pound done comes out to be less then 6 inches a second. Is this normal? Will it speed up eventually after a couple runs. Ive been running it with the abs at 180 Celsius the stuff that it comes with. Thanks again

Re: Filastruder running very slow.

Well, 6 inches a second would be pretty fantastic.

/joking

6 inches a minute is slow (assuming you're using 1.75mm filament), but not completely outside the bounds of normal. Some thoughts:

1.) Try bumping up to 185 or 190C
2.) You can try insulating the barrel completely
3.) You can drill the nozzle out slightly. I drill them with a 1.58mm bit, you could try a 1.65mm or 1.7mm bit. As you increase temperature, output rate will increase, but diameter will decrease. Drilling out the nozzle lets you increase temperature further. There is not much to gain beyond 195C on MG94 ABS, You'll start seeing melt fracture and poor diameter tolerance.

Okay I bumped the temp to 185 and that had helped as well as kept the diameter the same so I'll have to play with that. I'm also noticing it seems to have spurts where it produces filament faster. Do you experience that too?

I do, yes. It could be due to a number of factors - two that come to mind:

- Variable pellet loading. To some degree, this will always happen as pellets are not homogeneous in size or shape. It can be exacerbated by certain vertical hopper designs - not sure if you're running vertical
- Power supply voltage sagging. The motor slows down slightly (~5-10%) when the heater turns on. This would reduce output rate 5-10% between heater cycles. The regulation is not awesome on these small, made in China supplies - but it is good enough o get the job done. You could consider using two separate 12v supplies if you're really chasing optimality.

What output rate are you seeing with 185C?

I was seeing about 12 to 14 inches a minute. But now I changed the abs. Before I was using the stuff it came with but now I have ordered some ABS I bought off of ebay. Unfortunately this new stuff is not cooperating and is going out at about one to two inches a minute. Its also coming out at about 1.6mm. The melt flow rate is 220 to 245 celcius and its mg94. Got any suggestions.

It comes with MG94. Are you saying you purchased MG94? Do you have a link to it?

MFR is not measured in degrees Celsius.

I cant find the link. The seller sold their last batch

Might be saying the obvious, but,

Chances are you did not get MG94, based on reduced performance when you know MG94 was getting better performance earlier.

Yea I kinda am figuring that out