1 (edited by mulion21 2012-11-25 02:16:36)

Topic: No power to the unit

Hi!

I just got my printer last week and I just started to use it today. I was able to print two small test cube (10x10x10 mm and 20x20x20mm) and a small figurine of 3 inch high then I unplugged my printer for about 2 hours and when I was ready to print a new part I re-plugged the printer, started to heat the bed then when the bed was around 80C the light of the units started flashing then went off. The green light on the power supply is flashing fast and also the red light on the back of the unit but there seems to be no other power to the unit.

I even unscrew the power supply cable from the back of the unit (the black and blue cable) and then re-plug only the power supply without being connected to the unit, the light on the power supply was then steady green no flashing. I reconnect the cable to the unit and it still doesn't work, no lights, no motor movement.

I am still able to connect to the printer with RepetierHost or Pronterface but I get no responce from the motor, can't heat the bed or the extruder and still no white lights in the case.

Can you help me?

Thanks for your time

Louis-Martin Rivard

Re: No power to the unit

Exact same issue as me.
Could you check what resistance you see between the 2 screws on the connection from the power supply unit to the board ?
I'll let you know if I find something else.

I don`t have a multimeter with me right now but I will try to get one by the end of the day. Did you get any luck fixing your problem?

Does the green light on your power supply is flashing fast? I try to get help from Solidoodle support but it was the weekend so now I am waiting for their response.

if you have a multimeter, first step should be to measure the voltage coming out of the supply.

the chip on board can be powered by the 5v USB.

the motors LED and fan etc are noly powered by the 12v brick.

so you can still connect to the board even when the machine is unplugged, but you can't make the motors work

Yes, same fast flashing, I'm assuming its because the board has a short, and the power unit cant do anything. If unplugged, my power unit stays steady green.

I've been talking to support today, I will keep you posted.

Good luck !

The only thing that Solidoodle told me is: "You may have a faulty power supply. We will need to investigate this." and no other feedback, no solution... still waiting... If you get better luck please keep me in touch.

I also unplug the power supply from the printer and its light stays steady green also but blink when connected to the printer.

I would try disconnecting the hot end and the heated bed from the main board as these are two of the most power hungry loads on the machine. Once these are disconnected see if the power supply will light solid if it does then reattach one of these and test again, since the power supply works with no load this may tell you if one of these is a short or power supply is weak smile

Like I have said, on my side, disconnecting everything has changed nothing, and the power supply is 100% fine. No issue there. From what you are describing, you are in the same boat.
You should really get a cheap mutlimeter, if only to be able to check if your board is shorted.

the fact that the light is solid whilst the supply is disconnected and under no load doesn't really mean that it's fine!

try connectting it so a load.
perhaps a car light bulb

standard sized car bulbs should let you test. (off the top of my head)
5w (interior light)
10w (flasher)
15w (brake)
30w (headlight dipped) (h7)
50w (headlight main) (h7)

the supply is 12 V 10 A, so should easily power all these loads, (in fact should be able to power them all at once - but probably don't try that!)
if you see a problem with any of those test loads connected then the power supply is at fault.

I have checked my power unit, and it IS fine.
And my board is shorted. That's why i told him to check the board first, to confirm it is the same issue.

Hi!

I finally receive the new power supply and it work! So the problem (in my case) was the power supply.

Hope this can help you