Topic: DIY with scrap parts from Scanner and Printers

Hello,

I have been looking into 3d printing for a while now...

I want to build myself one... then with it print the parts for a better and then ultimately have a full custom sturdy Delta model.

For now I have a couple of stepped motors with rods and belt systems recovered from a couple of old printers and scanners.

Most of them have 4 or 5 wires so... I have almost all the materials at hone to make the axis and i am resourceful to do my best, align them, etc.

But this is half the job.

What can I use to drive these motors?

I do not have the electronics and the extruder assembly.

I searched a few forums and found that Megatronics V2.0 is a 'future ready' circuit board. And I see it has a lot of features. I found this on Ebay at around 75$ and also a super cheap one at 11$ that looks rather simple and drives 5 stepped motors. (i could not post links - forum doesn't allow me). Apart the price the only thing I can tell is that the cheaper uses a parallel port ( so i need an old computer to command it) and the Megatronics is controllable by USB.

Can I use Megatronics on usb with my Windows 8 Pc?

Will I be able to use all types of stepped motors with it? What I mean here is: Start with what I have and work myself up to some decent hi-torque Hema standard motors. (All identical and new, not scrap challenge type)

What should I get as a extruder

I prefer the whole assembly, not to buy parts and realize something is missing and I hate to print a part... because l'm stuck to filing a block of plastic to get it in shape (aka lost cause)

I have seen that many prefer 1.75mm filament because is melted faster. Is it possible to have them both?

I have also read about full metal extruders that heat better (400 d Celsius) and last longer.

And I think this is all for now...

If you need part numbers for what I have... I can post pictures and details off all motors, assemblies and parts I am planning to use.

Thank you for your patience and replies,

Serg

P.S.: I live in Paris, France so take that into consideration for parts... I liked a suggestion regarding the XYZ Printer it is at a good price... but $230 shipping and $150 duty and taxes it's a buzz-kill...