Topic: Smallest Diameter that a SD3 can print.?

I was wondering if anyone can help. I am trying to print a bolt very tiny (5mm) in diameter. Does anyone know what is the smallest diameter that a SD3 may print/?. Just a newbie question lol

Re: Smallest Diameter that a SD3 can print.?

I'm having issues on printing a small diameter bolt. I was just wondering if anyone might know what approximate is the smallest diameter that a SD3 (0.4mm nozzle) may print. Im not receiving any good prints. I try printing 5mm and I receive  4mm etc.

You're probably printing to fast.

You will never be able to print threads on a M5 bolt.

what is the smallest thread that I may print??. I'm trying to figure this out.

I tend to agree with elmoret here. However, if your small shapes are not coming out the right size, you might consider checking how much backlash your machine has, and going about adjusting belts etc. to minimise that.

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

yamilbrunet wrote:

what is the smallest thread that I may print??. I'm trying to figure this out.

If you're dialed in really well M10-M12. Stock, probably M20.

I have no problem whatsoever with printing 1-3/16ths - 16tpi inside threads wink

ronsii wrote:

I have no problem whatsoever with printing 1-3/16ths - 16tpi inside threads wink

Yep, and I have printed broom handle threads that work great wink  Or that big screw toy that we were all printing 6 months ago.
Seriously the best I have gotten is 12-1.25 but I guess I haven't set out to see if I could do finer than that.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

10 (edited by adrian 2014-04-12 11:57:59)

You can print very small very accurately - as long as you have long enough layer times to allow sufficent cooling. Your normal instinct would be to just slow the print down, but these leaves the nozzle hovering longer over fine detail and making it fail.. If I want very fine detail in a small layer, I tend to leave print speeds the same as 'normal' printing, make sure Layer Cooling is *disabled* - and then print lots of the buggers at once... This naturally extends the layer durations because the print head has to move between pieces and the print time of each piece is cumlative to the entire layer time..

Thats how I printed these tiny yoda's (thats a $1 Euro coin ...) ... not saying they are masterpieces.. but I didn't do any special calibration for these other than print 4 at once...:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/9315288188_c5570b75f2.jpg

Same ideas apply to small threads...

adrian wrote:

You can print very small very accurately - as long as you have long enough layer times to allow sufficent cooling. Your normal instinct would be to just slow the print down, but these leaves the nozzle hovering longer over fine detail and making it fail.. If I want very fine detail in a small layer, I tend to leave print speeds the same as 'normal' printing, make sure Layer Cooling is *disabled* - and then print lots of the buggers at once... This naturally extends the layer durations because the print head has to move between pieces and the print time of each piece is cumlative to the entire layer time..

Thats how I printed these tiny yoda's (thats a $1 Euro coin ...) ... not saying they are masterpieces.. but I didn't do any special calibration for these other than print 4 at once...:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/9315288188_c5570b75f2.jpg

Same ideas apply to small threads...

Nice Yoda's don't forget to finish your drink it'll get warm setting on the bench like that smile

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions