Topic: Melting / Extrusion problems

Tim,

After some tweaking and building a new assembly mount for the Filastruder, I was excited to actually get some filament to extrude. While it was still pretty gray, it was good to see my assembly working. Before I got through the initial phase of extruding to get clean filament, however, the motor started to bind up and eventually burned out. This was also while the heat was set much higher than the recommended temperature of 180 C, I had the heat at about 230 C just to ensure that the filament would extrude smoothly. Still though, it seemed that the filament was not melting properly causing the eventual destruction of the motor.
So, I went ahead and ordered the new, more powerful beta motor and set up the assembly again. This time, I again cranked the heat up to 230 C and waited for the filament to start oozing out of the tip, but it never happened. The heating element is definitely working, but it doesn't seem like the filament is melting properly for extrusion. I left the heat on at 230 C for probably 4 hours or so waiting on signs of proper melting point to start extruding, no oozing at all. I was able to stick a needle up the tip, so it does't seem like we have a clog there. I tried to turn the motor on slowly using a power supply controller with a knob to adjust auger speed, and again the motor binded up and would not move the auger. I heard a nice "pop" and I'm wondering if I burnt out this motor as well. My next step is to disassemble and soak the barrel in acetone so that I can check for bends, and also check the motor with no load on it to see if it is ruined. Do you have any suggestions or ideas as to why I am having so much trouble with melting and extruding? I really don't think the barrel is bent, but there was filament left in the barrel from the last run. But shouldn't leaving the heat on for that long and at that temperature heat it up enough to start extruding again?

Taylor Orr

Re: Melting / Extrusion problems

On my phone right now, but 230C is WAY too hot. I would not be surprised if you cooked the majority of the polymer in the barrel. I also have no idea why you left it idle for 4 hours at temp.

You probably have two destroyed motors, and a ruined barrel auger combo. I'll respond more later, but in the meantime pictures would be helpful.

Just reviewed your other post, now I remember... You replaced the barrel with one of your own (galvanized, no less!). I'll say it again:

To answer your question, the problems you're having are not common, but you've modified it so much it isn't really a Filastruder anymore.

Since you identified the galvanized barrel wasn't a good idea, I immediately replaced it with a regular black iron pipe just as the one originally provided. The only thing I have modified is the mounting assembly to make it stronger, and added an aluminum plate to the original wooden trust plate for added strength. I had the temp that high because the filament didn't seem to melt properly at 180 C for some reason. I was just trying to make the polymer flow better with more heat. By cooked, do you mean that the polymer could have solidified at that temperature? I wasn't too worried about the filament in the barrel being usable once extruded, I was just trying to get it to extrude. Again, I left it at temp for that long just to try to get the filament to melt and actually extrude because it seemed to stay solid and not allow the auger to move. Any suggestions?

You also said you bought a new barrel and auger. Did you get those directly from Filastruder? I don't see any emails from your address.

The only reasons the polymer wouldn't melt at 180C is if:

1.) It isn't Sabic MG94 ABS
2.) Thermocouple is installed wrong
3.) Controller has been programmed to something other than factory defaults

Hotter is bad, it will carbonize:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonization

This is the black crap you may have seen. At 230C, I'd expect it to happen for sure - this is confirmed by your statement about the filament turning dark grey, as it was midway through carbonization.

Have you confirmed that 180C reading? That's something I would have done before haphazardly adding 50C to the process temp...

After talking with my supervisor, Dr. Jim Flowers, we have decided we are going to order a new Filastruder and start from scratch again. We feel that with the problems we have been having as well as the modifications we've made, our best bet is to start over and try again. You should be receiving an order from Dr. Flowers in the near future. Thanks for your help!

I've PMed you a coupon code for a significant discount off the kit. I want you to have a good experience - please message me if you have any questions at all along the way, I am happy to share the experience I have gained.

Thank you very much!