Topic: Grinding noise when extruding

I don't know if this is due to improper assembly or a defective part or if this is just expected, but I am still not getting nearly the extrusion rate that I thought I should be getting. At 180C, I am getting about 4 inches per minute. My temp is pretty stable for the most part.

The thing that bothers me and that I believe is related is that about 50% of the time, I get a loud noise from the extruder for no reason that I can determine. It is unrelated to temp (if I turn my temp to 190, the grinding is still present).

I am attaching a video that catches the difference in sound. The short video starts out with normal, expected noise and then a little more than 1/2 way through, you can hear the loud grinding noise kick in. I am using my camera phone, so please forgive the fact that it is upside down.... but all I was trying to do in capturing video was to show that the noise doesn't seem to be related to the temperature (as far as I can tell).

Any advise would be appreciated. I have an unverifiable suspicion that the cause of this intermittent grinding is the same as my unreliable diameter... but until I know if this is normal/abnormal noise (and if abnormal, the solution), I can't really proceed on resolving the diameter issue.

Thanks

Post's attachments

20140331_190124.mp4 3.27 mb, 28 downloads since 2014-04-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Grinding noise when extruding

Again, 4 inches/min is normal for 3mm - that works out to 12"/min of 1.75mm. Most people around here quote 1.75mm speeds, as Solidoodles use 1.75mm filament.

The noise is something I've heard before, but usually went away. I can swap the motor out if you'd like, email me at [email protected] to do so - but I don't think the motor is a problem, unless the RPMs are changing significantly (>10%)  when the sound changes.

What diameter variation are you seeing? +/-0.1mm is normal for 3mm filament. Volumetrically, this works out to about the same as +/-0.05mm on 1.75mm filament.

By the way, you should not be extruding indoors, especially near living spaces. This goes for 3D printers too, though no manufacturer likes to talk about that.

I am only doing indoors to test under controlled temps and humidity, but I appreciate the advice.

I didn't realize that 4 inches/min was normal. I was reading the posts of 8/min and thought that was for 3mm. That is a very helpful clarification.

4"/min doesn't sound like a lot, until you come back into the basement an hour later and there's a fat little tire spooled up on the ground already.  It goes a lot faster than it seems when you ignore it smile

Not to change the subject but what is that white piece under the blue funnel?

Looks like the previous hopper, just scooted forward instead of disassembling the entire machine.

Aha, that is what it looks like, thanks.