Topic: Is there a completely opaque white filament for solidoodle?

I need a matte opaque white filament for my prints. The translucent standard white ABS I've tried so far looks bad. Does such a thing exist for Solidoodle? Where can I buy it?

Re: Is there a completely opaque white filament for solidoodle?

Octave has a white that is pretty decent, much whiter than Natural ABS.

.. or you can try white HIPS which comes out 'snow' white... if HIPS remains appropriate as a material for its requirements in the specific instance...

My main goal is getting an opaque white filament, completely non see through. Secondary I'd like it to have a matt finish. Having it as perfect white as possible is not that important, so offwhite can work as well. I have not tried the official solidoodle ABS, but I recieved a part with my printer that looked like it might have been made with it, and it was very matt and opaque. Do you think the Solidoodle white ABS will suit my needs?

adrian wrote:

.. or you can try white HIPS which comes out 'snow' white... if HIPS remains appropriate as a material for its requirements in the specific instance...

I have not heard of HIPS before, is it opaque? Saw a picture of HIPS being used for support material, it looked just as translucent as my ABS.

I bought white ABS from here: http://www.mexhibit.ch/

It's pure white, absolutely opaque, gorgeous look. I was actually not expecting this kind of finish, the piece looks painted.

I don't know what their supplier is though, for international shipping.

haakongaarder wrote:

I need a matte opaque white filament for my prints. The translucent standard white ABS I've tried so far looks bad. Does such a thing exist for Solidoodle? Where can I buy it?

If you purchased a semi-transcluent "white" check to make sure it is not "natural." Natural is without colorant as far as I'm aware, and is different than "White."  Personally my favorite thing to print with, though.

I can vouch for Octave's white filament. It is much lighter than the natural filaments that I bought with my SD2. Prints are consistent and the material tends to have a Natural matte finish to it as well. But you know, YMMV