1 (edited by macmub 2012-11-20 04:19:34)

Topic: Prints Slowly Moving Over

Alright so ive printing for a few days, mainly dialling in my settings etc.

Ive come across a new problem today.
The axis seem to be getting lost and slowly moving over...

Ive attached a pic of my last print.
I have a 10cm usb fan blowing on the electronics at the back at all times.
The case is on, printing at 185 and 90.

The x axis motor is very hot.
Its a warm day here, its about 26 degrees in the office or 78 f.

Ive been running the printer on and off every day since I received it last week.

Edit: The profile is completely random, it doesnt slowly move over 1 way, its all over the place.

Post's attachments

print 1.jpg
print 1.jpg 91.93 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-11-20 

print 2.jpg
print 2.jpg 86.97 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Prints Slowly Moving Over

Are your stepper motors binding, do you hear them grinding?

No.
Every this seems to be running fine, no strange noises.

I'm at a loss, don't think I've seen that before, it's generally in one axis only.  Nothing else changed, have you tried other files?

Printing a test box now.

Ive got a feeling it may be a over complicated part for the printer.

I doubt its a code based issue, though bring up the file in repetier's gcode view and double check. I have mine home after every layer for redundancy, you could try doing that in the mean time. It might still wander, but it'll catch itself eventually.

Thanks guys
I think it was a mixture of a over complicated file and trying to use support aswell.

Printed a test box and the edges look fine.

Check your flow rate.  Sometimes when it offsets all over the place, it is because some plastic is curling up or getting smooshed up high enough for the nozzle to snag on it.  This can happen in any direction and give you skipped layers to any side.  It can be overhanging perimeters that curl  up and harden as they cool, or solid layers with too much extrusion, causing raised ridges between threads.

Oozing plastic can get smeared onto support as the nozzle travels over it.  Sometimes support is generated so thinly, that some layers don't stick and fall off to the side.  For every layer after that, the nozzle will be extruding plastic onto a spot where there is no lower layer to stick it to, so it gets wiped off somewhere else creating more rough patches for the nozzle to drag on.

Thanks Ian, I don't think that's the problem. The offset layers were printed perfectly, just 5 layers or so at a time it would shift over. I watched the nozzle and it actually looked like it was going to the wrong coordinates. I printed a test box and it came out ok. I'll post back more tomorrow after some more printing.

10 (edited by patmail4 2012-11-20 18:07:27)

check that your Y axis rods are well fixed  and can't move around .

to do that push the rod from front and then from back , if it move you must  tighten the crappy "plumber" rod fix

Post's attachments

IMG_20121120_185921.jpg
IMG_20121120_185921.jpg 1.62 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-11-20 

IMG_20121120_185939[1].jpg
IMG_20121120_185939[1].jpg 1.46 mb, 5 downloads since 2012-11-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.