Topic: Executive summary pitch

I am working on a concise write up to present in 1/2 hour. The target audience understands electronics, fabrication and distribution.

How is this outline?

mainstream 3d printer
    fused deposition modelling
types
    cartesian
        cube
            bed moves only in z
        gantry
            bed moves in x and/or y
    delta
        bed is stationary
components
    hardware
        motors
            axis
            extruder
                bowden
                direct
        heater
            bed
            nozzle
    electronics
        logical
            gocde/io
        physical
            temperature
            motor
materials
        abs
        pla
        nylon
market
    proprietary
        hardware/software
    open source
        hardware/software

Re: Executive summary pitch

What is the purpose of the presentation?

It might not be relevant but perhaps you could showcase your knowledge by noting common issues with solutions for each.

lawsy wrote:

What is the purpose of the presentation?

To bring otherwise technically knowledgeable people up to speed on what makes up a common consumer grade 3D printer.

In that case your list is pretty comprehensive.

The only other thing I can think of is to discuss alternatives to fused deposition modelling, such as CNC mill. Most peasants I mention 3D printers to think that the plastic is cut out of a bigger block, so a making that distinction might be good.

Also, I'm sure if it's worth discussing laser sintering like the form 1 or whether that opens up a big can of worms.

lawsy wrote:

I'm sure if it's worth discussing laser sintering like the form 1 or whether that opens up a big can of worms.

That would open up a big can of worms especially since the form 1 is SLA not SLS tongue

SLS is strictly for powder based material where as SLA is strictly liquid based

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

I may be wrong, or just poor. but I think getting up past the $2000 USD range makes it more than common consumer grade. Never mind powders and liquids. At about a grand I start to flinch, maybe that is just the peasant in me wink.

I may start another thread and I don't mean to troll but it seems to me that if you are doing prototyping or single runs then a 1000 dollar filament printer vs. a 3000 dollar filament printer does not make that much of a difference.

Back to the point. The conclusion of the presentation may be to show that for the price of an xbox one can enable micro manufacturing. It depends on the audience. How it empowers people or whether there is any money to be made is out of scope.

Looks pretty fun to me - good pictures / diagrams to go with it will be a boon for the engineering-minded in your audiences...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:

Looks pretty fun to me - good pictures / diagrams to go with it will be a boon for the engineering-minded in your audiences...

Of course, no better way to understand the various carriage, drive and feed systems.

I worry that the engineers will start asking how many shields one can stack since they want to run a daiquiri blender in parallel.