Topic: Filament diameter - Filastruder v1.4

I just got my new Filastruder up and running.  However, the filament diameter is too small.  Here is what I'm currently seeing:

What material? The ABS pellets that came with the unit.
What temperature? 180C
What diameter are you seeing? Generally 2.60mm +/- .10mm
What extrusion speed? (inches per minute)  Here's what's crazy...I'm seeing right around 12" per minute.
The fan is running.

I've got my unit setup vertically using Ian's hopper design (Thingiverse thing:109650).

I'm definitely trying for a diameter somewhere in the range of 2.90mm +/- .50mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian

Re: Filament diameter - Filastruder v1.4

Are you running the fan?  How high is the filastruder?  Turning down the temp will increase the diameter, so try it at 176.  Cooling the filament as quickly as possible with a fan will reduce the amount it can stretch before becoming solid.

Yes, the fan is mounted and running.  I've even got as far as testing a thin cardboard shroud around the nozzle.  The unit is about 4' about the ground measured at the nozzle.  I'll give 176 a try.

Are you letting your filament go straight down to the ground (pre-winder) or are you supporting it at some point?

Thanks for all the data! It sure helps troubleshooting.

It seems you might be reading a bit low on the thermocouple - is it fully inserted in the hole on the side of the die? I'd back temps down a few degrees, like Ian suggested. Failing that, you could redrill the nozzle slightly larger. I drill them small because it is easier to make a small hole bigger than a big hole smaller. I aim for 2.8mm extrusion diameter on the nozzles when used horizontally. Vertically, they'll be a little thinner as there's more tension. I drill them with a 2.78mm (7/64") bit, if you want to move up.

I believe the thermocouple is fully inserted.  It definitely was at one point.  wink  I'll add that the list of things to check.  Though I have to agree with the low temperature reading since I'm getting 12" per minute.