Topic: Bed Clip concepts

Working off the ideas in another thread from dubbsd and Ian.  I sketched up a couple ideas but haven't thought them all the way through yet.  Take a look and see if it would work or will inspire another solution.  Open source bed clipping at it's finest.

Idea 01 is just dubbsd's idea with a different shape on the clip so you don't have to swing it.  You'd probably want the glass slightly oversize in the front to give you some place to lift from without burning yourself.

Idea 02 is a spring steel base, 3d printed magnet holder snapped into a hole in the spring steel.  This would be .3mm or so under the bottom of the glass, and then a magnet would be placed / glued to the glass to hold them together.  I suppose you could glue a magnet straight to the spring steel as well.  The glass would have to be 10mm or so oversize for this concept to work.  We'd have to test out of the earth magnets would be strong enough, but I don't see why they wouldn't be.  (You could also glue the magnets to the underside of the glass and stick them to the bent up spring steel directly)

These are both using Ian's concept of locking a thin piece of steel between the bottom of the bed and the bed leveling spring.  Alum bed / steel / jam nut / spring / z platform

Talk amongst yourself, just trying to contribute to the process.

Post's attachments

idea 01a.jpg 16.69 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

idea 01b.jpg
idea 01b.jpg 18.86 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

idea 02a.jpg
idea 02a.jpg 37.31 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

idea 02b.jpg
idea 02b.jpg 38.28 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Bed Clip concepts

I like the idea of gluing a magnet to the bottom of the glass.  It doesn't require bending the steel just right, which I have no idea how to do.  I think you would just need to make sure that the bottom magnet stays low enough that the glass magnet keeps downward pressure.  If the lower magnet holder/steel tab tends to bend up, it might let the glass get loose.

Rather than using a nut to hold the steel against the bottom of the aluminum, maybe it can be positioned between two nuts so you can adjust the height.

3 (edited by Tomek 2012-11-19 17:51:26)

Magnets have a "currie point" at which they lose magnetization.

For anyone else who thinks of that, I looked it up and it looks like even in the worse case (certain types of rare earth ones) it's >300 Celsius, so we're way beyond fine.

Magnets seem very appealing now that you mention it. The only problem I might see with it is that if you want to have the securing mechanism underneath the glass platform, as opposed to the side of build platform (meaning you need wings extending off the aluminum bed; the wings would be were you add the magnet) 

Airspace would be a big insulator between the heated bed and glass.

The problem with having it directly under the glass platform is then there will be an airspace between the heated bed and the platform. This could be compensated by adding a aluminum template to increase heat transfer from the bed to the glass, or by drilling into the aluminum base to add the magnets.

I could see this being part of an full bed upgrade, where you build a new aluminum plate which some depressions, so you can still level the bed, and simultaneously upgrade the platform a half inch in each dimension (so far as it's possible to move the printer head beyond the 6*6 platform) and also upgrade the heater with some nichrome wire.

Tomek if you look at the pictures I was proposing mounting a magnet on a thin piece of steel that is attached between the bed and the leveling spring.  This would give you the platform for sticking the magnet and keep the contact between the glass (oversized) and aluminum bed.

The .6mm tabs from a feeler gauge might be good for this.  They already have a hole drilled at one end.

Drilling holes into the glass plate to place magnets above the leveling screws might be worth looking into as well.  In this case you would need to cover the tops of the magnets with Kapton or something.  That might not work too well by itself though, there isn't much friction between magnets and metal to keep the plate from sliding.  Magnet to magnet would be stronger.

Another possibility is to just drill and c'sink 4 holes for the steel / feeler gage to go to so you don't have to mess with the table assembly.  The only issue is to get a magnet thickness equal to the bed thickness or slightly less.  I was trying to figure something out that you could thread into the feeler gage that you could adjust the height of that would be enough for the magnet to stick to.

Post's attachments

idea 03a.jpg
idea 03a.jpg 23.25 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

idea 03b.jpg
idea 03b.jpg 22.88 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

idea 03c.jpg
idea 03c.jpg 8.38 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-19 

There is a massive amount of room behind the bed on top of the wooden platform. I'm going to get glass that is too long in the y direction and utilise this space to have my mounting points.

It really shouldn't matter, with this concept nothing sticks up above Z0.  What would you do in the front, or are you planning on just laying the glass down and only having magnets in the back?

I ended up buying a picture frame from target which had a bit of glass about 210mm x 150mm for a couple of dollars. I was thinking you could glue some L shaped brackets onto the front of it so it wedged onto the front part of the bed, then have some magnets at the back to hold it down. That way you only have to worry about the alignment of two out of the four points.

how are you getting on with the glass that size?

the machien has a 6" x 6" bed.

but has about a half inch either side where the extruder can go into air in the x axis, and about a half inch at the front on the y axis, also it can go right to the back, (and slightly off) on the Y axis.

a bigger sheet of glass can likely see an immediate, (and near free) upgrade of the print are to 7"x6.5"x6" in xyz.

Works fine. You can see the way I have it at the moment. It just sits off the back almost perfectly. I thought about putting it sideways to get a bit more area, but figured I should at least try get some decent clips sorted out for it first. I must say though, I'm so happy with how the prints are sticking on the glass, and how easy it is to pull them off again!

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.79 mb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-20 

I'll have to get home to get pics, but the easiest thing that I could find was wooden clothespins. 

It's odd, but I cut some mirror down to approx 6" squares (I SUCK at cutting glass).  Having sharp edges is a no-no, so I used some blue painters tape on the rough edges.  I went searching for something to hold the glass, but the only thing I found was 2 wood clothespins.  I figured I'd only hold the bed in the front as the back end would get screwed with the Y-axis. 

I worked, and I figure that will do until this is resolved in a better fashion.  Nice thing is, I don't need anything to pull the heated glass from the bed.  I use the pins on the tape to slide it part off, close the clips on the glass and I have ready to use handles to set the glass where I want to cool it.

Note:  If you have a case w/door, this is not as ideal, but I suppose I could cut the ends down on the pins to make it fit better inside a door.

I'll definitely get pics up later today.

I just used between 2 and 4 springs: see photo!  Very simple, inexpensive.

Post's attachments

IMG_1735.JPG 349.85 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-11-20 

Looks fine, don't see much of an improvement over using the binder clips though.  Still have to attach and detach.  I'm hopefully going to have some time over the 4 day weekend to mess around with the magnet idea.  I think that would be ideal just to pop it on and off without unclipping anything.

Attached is the setup that I use with the wood clothespins.

Don't mind the mess of parts... I need to clean and add to my ABS glue stash.

As you can see , the pins are only on the front of the machine.  When I finally get around to adding acrylic sides and a front door, I'll need to shorten the pins a little, but not too much.  They're enough to keep the mirror on the bed with the kapton there so I guess it's a neat little work around.

Post's attachments

2012-11-20 20.52.49.jpg
2012-11-20 20.52.49.jpg 1.56 mb, 3 downloads since 2012-11-21 

Just to close the loop on this, here's the final version of the magnet concept.  Been using it for a couple days and it's working very well.  Extremely pleased with it.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/814/magn … -mounting/