Topic: Eratic Winder Servo

Several times now I've had the servo on my winder become eratic.  It just quickly jumps back and forth.  It usually happens after I've been running a few hours.  I have to turn it off and unplug it then turn it back on and reset everything to get it working again. 

I'm using the 9a version of the firmware in 3mm mode.  I tried reflashing the firmware but that didn't fix it.

Re: Eratic Winder Servo

Is your arduino resetting?  Sounds like it may be.  If it is you may find this to be relevant

I updated my firmware with what was in the link.  It's still happening.

Do you see an LED on the arduino flash when it starts moving around?  That signals a reset.  Is the servo jittering, or does it seem to move from one position to the other?  It's a long shot, but maybe something is overheating.  There is a pair of headers at the bottom left of the board that you can use to plug a fan into.

It can run fine for several hours then all of a sudden I hear the servo osculating back and forth quickly.  So, it's not just moving from one position to another.  Sometimes it happens when I turn it on but mostly after it's been running a while.  I have to turn the power off and unplug it for a few seconds to get it reset so I can set the end positions and such.  There are times when it kind of vibrates a little but doesn't really move.

I have run arduinos in very rough environments before (180 degrees F) and have yet to see a reset.  I also have ran my winder for extended periods of time up to 12 hours and have not noticed any components even getting warm.

I'm not discounting the idea of something getting warm on the board itself and causing problems (voltage regulator maybe?), but it does seem unlikely to me. 

I wonder if its a combination of the servo drawing more power as the spool grows in thickness and distance from the arm and the spool decreases, along with the torque required to make the spool turn increases (effectively have a taller gear as plastic grows on the spool).  Maybe try one of the extenders on thingiverse intended for 3mm filament.

I'm making 3mm filament so I've got an extender on there.  I've got the servo on the second notch down on the extender.  Maybe it is too close to the tension PTFE tube and having to work too hard? 

It often becomes erratic when I try to set the left and right limits.  I often have to try multiple times to get the limits set. That also might be after it has run a while and if something is getting it hot, turning it off for 10 sec. isn't going to cool it too much.